My second element fitted

Started by pwven, December 31, 2017, 03:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

This is photos of my second element I fitted last week. The smoker temp go up quickly to 250F and stay on the setting as per PDI controller.
Very happy with my smoker now.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

Toker

Hi, I'm Frank the tattoo guy of the place, one question, could I send you my insulators caps for you to pierce for me please? I would have 2-3 sets to pierce. No one can do it for me in my neighborhood that's why I'm asking thanks

pwven

Hi Frank. I am lost and do not understand what you want.
"I send you my insulators caps for you to pierce for me please" what do this mean?.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Toker

No sorry looking at your picture, you seemed to have modified it differently than the traditional way. That's why you don't and can't understand [emoji57]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Toker

Just let me know if your way works very good, I might do it your way [emoji57]

Btw, how did you pass the wires each side through the smoker back and how does the V tray fits with your second element installed?

pwven

I have only smoked 4 pork ribs after the installation of the second element and it worked very well. No problem with heat in the smoker and the PID controlled the temp at 240F without any problem. will give you better feedback after I have done a number of smokes.
I used a set of the original element ceramic holders to fit the extra 500 watt element, and I fix them just above the original ones. The wiring at the is connected to the original wires. My smoker is on 220 volt and draw les than 5 amp on the two elements heating at the same time.

Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

pwven

Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Toker

Thanks for the closers pictures. My only remaining question is for the wires each side. Did you have to drill one hole each side to pass the wires through the insulator out of the smoker to plug it in the back? Sorry but this picture is missing or not clear enough for my eyes.

pwven

The rear ceramic block bolts to the back wall in the smoker and the ceramic cap screws also go through the back wall. So 4 small holes were drilled in the back plate for the fixing screws. The rear ceramic block have a spigot at the back so a larger hole must be drilled in the center of the 4 small holes for the spigot to fit in where the wires go through. The second element is fitted in the same way as the original one, I just need to get a element guard for the second one and fit it.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Toker

That's what I assumed but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification [emoji106]

Habanero Smoker

It looks like an easy setup to do, but I would just monitor your first few cooks. With that second element so close to the drip tray, it may cause the drip tray to get hot enough to cause a grease fire. But I just may be overly cautious.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Habs, I would put a pan to catch the dripping anyway.

pwven

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 02, 2018, 02:06:15 AM
It looks like an easy setup to do, but I would just monitor your first few cooks. With that second element so close to the drip tray, it may cause the drip tray to get hot enough to cause a grease fire. But I just may be overly cautious.
There is more heat on the drip tray now as the second element is closer to the drip tray. When I use the smoker next time, I will measure the temperature of the drip tray above with a infrared scanner to see what it is.
I normally place a tray on the bottom tray to catch any drippings.
At about what temperature on the drip tray will cause a grease fire?
One other alternative is to place another small plate above the drip tray where the heat is very high.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure what the critical temperature would be. There have been fires caused by grease dripping down the sidewall onto the element itself, but I'm not sure how hot the drip pan would have to get to ignite the grease that is on it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)