Roast Beef perfection!

Started by FLBentRider, July 28, 2009, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I took a 13lb Sirloin Roast. Salt, pepper.

4 hours of Oak.

Cooked @ 200F until an IT of 135F, about 6 hours total including the smoke.

FTC for 2 hours, into the refer for 2 days (I just didn't have time to deal with it)

I unwrapped it today and sliced...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

Yep I agree that appears to be perfection.

NePaSmoKer

mikecorn.1

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Wow! That looks better than prime rib. Great job FLB.
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 28, 2009, 04:06:59 PM... into the refer for 2 days (I just didn't have time to deal with it)

You did the right thing - I did a standing rib roast pretty much the same way last week and found that while it was excellent served that night for dinner, it was even better as cold sliced roast beef the next day.

westexasmoker

Thats a beauty FLB!

I'm getting a roast ready for tomorrow nights dinner...now I'm thinking I'm gonna need to let it rest a couple days after the smoke!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

And here's the kicker, I bought that @ $1.98/lb since I was annoyed by brisket being $3.27

It is the same doneness all the way through, and it tastes awesome!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 28, 2009, 04:41:57 PMIt is the same doneness all the way through, and it tastes awesome!

You've just found out the secret to deli and restaurant roast beef.  Low temp (200-220o) roasting to the desired IT does that and has the added advantage of preventing the 15% shrinkage you get roasting at the "standard" 325-350o.  Also works for similar lamb and pork cuts.

degenerazn

dang, that really is perfection.  Only 6 hours of total cook time?  Did you inject prior to smoking?  And did you catch all the drippings to make Au Jus?

Up In Smoke

Dang it FLB, you just totally ruined my hot dogs :D
Great job, Me thinks me just found the maiden voyage for the new OBS.
as soon as i am done seasoning of course.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

FLBentRider

It was as simple as the original post.

13LB Beef Sirloin roast
Kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper

I unwrapped the roast, patted dry, a little S&P and
Into OBS @200F four hours of Oak.

I saved the juice for dipping, but it is so juicy there is a puddle on the slicer!

The DW is out for the evening, so I fed it to the kids with a side of Cheez-Its  :D ;D :o ::)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 28, 2009, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on July 28, 2009, 04:41:57 PMIt is the same doneness all the way through, and it tastes awesome!

You've just found out the secret to deli and restaurant roast beef.  Low temp (200-220o) roasting to the desired IT does that and has the added advantage of preventing the 15% shrinkage you get roasting at the "standard" 325-350o.  Also works for similar lamb and pork cuts.

I tried this once before and left it in too long. I was pretty much ruined.. well done.

I pulled it @ 4AM when I got up to check it and empty/refill the water bowl. I was not expecting it to be done so fast.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Now you got me thinking I need a slicer. Just thinking about that sliced thin on good bread or a roll, heaven.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 28, 2009, 05:35:05 PMNow you got me thinking I need a slicer. Just thinking about that sliced thin on good bread or a roll, heaven.  ;D

I've got a Chef's Choice 610 - it's their "low end" model (about $100) but worth about 6 of the cheaper plastic things you get for $50 and throw away after a week or so.  I don't know what I'd do with pastrami, roast beef, or other sandwich makings without it.