European wiener/Vienna sausage recipe

Started by Northern_Smoke, May 04, 2014, 08:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Does anyone have a good European wiener/Vienna sausage recipe? My wife was trying to find some like her grandmother used to buy 3 decades ago. The family owned deli went out of business years ago and she hasn't found anything close at the large chain stores.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Northern_Smoke

I looked at the recipe from Len Poli and might give it a try. It looked a lot like the recipe I have used for hotdogs though.

cobra6223

My wife being from Canada loves the European wiener but we can't find then here in the states. What we have found is a skinless or old fanshioned wiener but that's not close either. Please keep us posted if you find a true European recipe. Good luck.

Northern_Smoke

I will let you know if I find anything. I have been looking at a few recipes but can't say that they look right. And by that statement I mean that I am basing it off having already made home made hot dogs. All the European wiener recipes I have seen posted have almost identical ingredients as most hotdog recipes and I can assure you that the taste is very different. I might just have to start making small test batches.

Salmonsmoker

What is it that you think is missing in the recipes that you've looked at?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Northern_Smoke

I am not sure but I am going to use the recipe I have found and eliminate the mace for sure. The European wieners have a much more mild taste. I have found that most of the hotdog recipes have a very distinct spice that stands out quite a lot.

Some of it was my fault though but it was more if a texture thing and not a flavour problem. I got lazy and triple ground the meat instead of emulsifying it and I didn't have sheep casings. For some reason they are harder to find here so I had to use synthetic which didn't give them the snap when you night in.

My plan is to eliminate the strong spice I find in the hot dog recipes and try and determine what the rest of the recipe is missing. I foresee lots of test batches of sausage in my future lol.

tailfeathers

Keep a log of your attempts, that way when you arrive at weiner heaven you will be able to duplicate with consistency. And there's something to be said for developing a recipe that you can call your very own! Just promise to share it with us when you find it. :)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Northern_Smoke

I will do. I keep a spreadsheet for everything I cure with notes in the bottom describing what I like/didn't like and what I would do differently as well as the date that it was made. If and when I get to what we believe to be a perfect duplication I will definitely share with others.

Caneyscud

Can't say I've had any canadian sausage except some made by the Indians up near Stanley Mission.  But every time I'm over the big waters, I taste cardamon in many of the milder sausages over there. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Northern_Smoke

It's funny that you would mention cardamom because the recipe I have been wavering on has cardamom in it. I can't say I have ever cooked with it or used it in sausage. I have probably had it but not sure I could pick it out. You have maybe pushed me to try this recipe http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5034&sid=fa60a1aad12a70df0ebab926225af63c

Salmonsmoker

NS,
The reason I asked what might be missing is that I've been on a quest since I started making my own sausage and hot dogs for a recipe that will create a hotdog from my childhood. I will know immediately if I taste it. My grandparents and my parents were from Chicago and they used to get these kosher hotdogs (true kosher)that were in a small hog casing, so they were a larger diameter and the spice combo was exquisite. I don't know if the spice combo was ethnic and regional. They had a snap when you bit into them because of the natural casing and were quite red in color, so that would mean paprika. I sometimes dream of these at night. Seriously.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

GusRobin

Here is a hot dog recipe that I think resembles the store bought hot dogs I loved as a kid. After much experimentation, the key to getting the taste I wanted was to take the time to completely emulsify the meat and the hot bath after the smoke.

10 lb Hot Dogs

Pork                   lb   3.5
Lean GB (90/10)   lb   5
Beef Fat           lb   1.5
cure #1           tsp   2
Kosher salt           tbs   4
Paprika           tbs   4
ground mustard   tbs   6
black pepper   tsp   1
white pepper   tsp   1
celery seeds   tsp   1
mace                   tbs   1
garlic powder   tsp   1
non fat dry milk   cup   2
powder dextrose   tbs   4
corn syrup solids   cup    1/3 (Corrected 5/8/14)
Cold Water           cup   2
Hog or sheep casings
Mix all the dry ingredients (except the cure) and grind to a coarse powder. Put meat into the mixer, add the water, add the ground ingredients. Mix the cure in a small amount of water, pour into mixer. Mix until emulsified (VERY IMPORTANT). Stuff in casings. (I've used both sheep and hog casings.) Put it in the fridge overnight (optional). Next day heat the Smoker to 120* put the dogs in for an hour, then 1 hour of hickory at 140*.  Then into a 160* bath until IT reached 152 ish. Then into an ice bath for about 15 minutes. The hang to bloom for about an hour. After that just throw a few on the grill.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Sailor

Quote from: GusRobin on May 07, 2014, 06:41:31 PM
Here is a hot dog recipe that I think resembles the store bought hot dogs I loved as a kid. After much experimentation, the key to getting the taste I wanted was to take the time to completely emulsify the meat and the hot bath after the smoke.

10 lb Hot Dogs

Lean GB (90/10)   lb   5
ground mustard   tbs   6
black pepper   tsp   1
white pepper   tsp   1
celery seeds   tsp   1
garlic powder   tsp   1
corn syrup solids   cup   1 1/3
Hog or sheep casings
Mix all the dry ingredients (except the cure) and grind to a coarse powder. Put meat into the mixer, add the water, add the ground ingredients. Mix the cure in a small amount of water, pour into mixer. Mix until emulsified (VERY IMPORTANT). Stuff in casings. (I've used both sheep and hog casings.) Put it in the fridge overnight (optional). Next day heat the Smoker to 120* put the dogs in for an hour, then 1 hour of hickory at 140*.  Then into a 160* bath until IT reached 152 ish. Then into an ice bath for about 15 minutes. The hang to bloom for about an hour. After that just throw a few on the grill.
Gus he recipe sounds great!  I am just wondering if you have a typo on the corn syrup solids as you say 1 1/3 cup....that is quite a bit of corn syrup solids for 10 pounds of meat.  Just wanting to make sure it was not a typo.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

Quote from: Sailor on May 08, 2014, 05:45:30 AM
Quote from: GusRobin on May 07, 2014, 06:41:31 PM

10 lb Hot Dogs

Lean GB (90/10)   lb   5
ground mustard   tbs   6
black pepper   tsp   1
white pepper   tsp   1
celery seeds   tsp   1
garlic powder   tsp   1
corn syrup solids   cup   1 1/3
Hog or sheep casings
Gus he recipe sounds great!  I am just wondering if you have a typo on the corn syrup solids as you say 1 1/3 cup....that is quite a bit of corn syrup solids for 10 pounds of meat.  Just wanting to make sure it was not a typo.
Yes it was a typo - thanks for catching it. Should be 1/3 cup not 1 1/3. I corrected original post.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.