Anybody have a recipe for Skilandis

Started by devo, September 04, 2011, 10:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Looked on the internet but didn't come up with one I liked.
What are they? This is what wikipedia says they are.
Skilandis (sometimes called Kindziukas) - pig stomach stuffed with minced meat mixed garlic, cold-smoked and matured for a long time. Traditional Lithuanian cuisine meal, sweet smelling and quite expensive. It was not used every day and it is considered as delicacy. Can be preserved for a long time.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

Nothing close in my archives or books, sorry.

La Quinta

So kinda like Haggis but different? Looks great...

cobra6223

Oh NEPAS come out come out wherever you are !!!! ;D He has everything surely he will have something. Looks mighty tasty .

3rensho

It does look like a fat salami.  Never heard of it though.  Must have a pretty long curing/drying time being so large.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

devo

I have found these two recipes. The first one has you cold smoking for three weeks which is out of the question. Both have it stuffed into a pigs stomach, which I thought of using something smaller. I have some 61mmx24" beef summer casings so I thought I could use those. The second recipe has it cold smoked for 8 hours which I can handle, but even that would be a long time in a bradley. Think this is going to be one of those should I try it or pass on it.
Thanks for looking guys.

RECIPE #1
Skilandis

5 k (10 lbs) fresh, lean pork ham
1 k (2 lbs) fresh pork side
200 g (6 oz) salt
1 tablespoon pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 g (1 teaspoon) saltpeter
50 g (2 oz) 96% alcohol (to remove excess moisture)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pork stomach

Chop meats, add garlic, pepper. Heat salt in skillet and add to meats. Mix well. Add saltpeter, sugar and alcohol. Mix gently. Stuff meat mixture tightly into prepared pigs stomach, so that no air pockets remain. When stuffing is complete, sew up opening and place between 2 boards and tie tightly. Keep in a cool, dry place for 8 to 10 days, then cold smoke, with alder wood for 3 weeks. Towards end of smoking, add juniper branches to give that special flavoring.

RECIPE #2
Kindziuk

Kindziuk sausage is made from pork and beef is smoked and dried, but not cooked. It may be considered a traditionally fermented product. Kindziuk - known in Poland as Kindziuk and in Lithuania as Skilandis, is an almost legendary product, famous for its long keeping properties.
Meats    Metric    US
lean pork    850 g    1.87 lb.
lean beef    150 g    0.33 lb.
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
salt    33 g    6 ½ tsp.
Cure #2    2.5 g g    ½ tsp.
sugar    1.0 g    ¼ tsp.
pepper    2.0 g    1 tsp.
herbal pepper*    1.0 g    ½ tsp.
garlic    3.5 g    1 clove
Instructions

Cut meat into 2" pieces. Rub in salt, Cure # 2 and sugar and leave on a screen for 3-4 days at 3-4° C (37-40° F).
    Cut pork into 20-30 mm (¾-1¼") by 10-15 mm (3/8-5/8") pieces.
    Grind beef through 2-3 mm (1/8") plate.
    Mix beef with all spices. Add pork and mix everything together.
    Stuff firmly into pork stomach, bladder, 60 mm beef middles or 60 mm fibrous casings. Reinforce with butcher's twine: two loops lengthwise and loops across the casings every 2" (5 cm). Form 10-12 cm (4-5") hanging loop on one end.
    Hang for 2 months at 2-4° C (35-40° F).
    Apply cold smoke 18-22° C (64-72° F) for 8 hours.
    Hang in a cool place for 2 weeks.
    Apply cold smoke again at 18-22° C (64-72° F) for 8 hours.
    Dry for 2 months at 8° C (46° F) and 75% humidity. The sausage should lose about 35% of its original weight.
    Store in a dark, cool and dry place.

Notes

Meat should come from mature animals. Remove all sinews, glands and gristle.

Originally all ingredients were stuffed into the pork stomach or bladder. The stomach was sewn and the bladder was tied off with butcher twine.

Traditional Kindziuk was smoked with alder wood.

Don't decrease the amount of salt. Salt and nitrite are the first line of defense against spoilage and pathogenic bacteria. Then as the sausage dries out it becomes more microbiologically stable every day.

* Herbal pepper is a combination of spices which is used in many countries such as French Quatre-epices (pepper, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon) or Indian curry powder (turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin and other spices). Italian seasoning (marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil) is another known combination of herbs. In East European countries such as Poland or Lithuania herbal pepper is commercially made and available in supermarkets. A typical Polish herbal pepper contains: white mustard seed, caraway, marjoram, chili, hot and sweet paprika and bay leaf. You can buy pre-mixed spices or use your imagination for creating your own version. If you decide to go without herbal pepper, use 3 g (1½ tsp) of black or white pepper.

NePaSmoKer

Lithuanian Skilandis

2 lbs. ground pork (med grind)
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp pennycress seed (good luck)
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp msg (opt but gives a good taste)
1/2 tsp cure #1
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, butcher grins is ok to
1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
1 pork stomach, cleaned and rinsed

smoke is opt here

Mix all together with meat, stuff into pork stomach casing, wrap and tie with butcher twine. You will be like cold processing this between 55-65* (smoke is opt) for a week. The hang time will depend on your humidity and outside temps.

After the week you will need to hot water bath it until it feels hard and not mushy. Hang for several hours to dry.

This is made not to far from me in the Lithuanion/Ukrainian Village. I will try to get some pics at their deli.

devo

Once I figured out that pennycress is just stinkweed and it grows all around here it shouldn't be to hard to find. Might be the wrong time of the year but will look into it.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/stinkweed.htm