Frog Mat Substitute - Just a thought

Started by jiggerjams, October 05, 2011, 05:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Being from Canada it is hard to get our hands on Frogmats. I was talking to my dad tonight and I was telling him what I was searching for. He suggested going to the hardware store and see what they have for screening. When my dad suggested screening he first mentioned screen door screening. This seems like a good substitute but I am unsure whether it would be food safe.

Any thoughts on anything mentioned above?

Thanks,
JJ

hal4uk

I'm thinking NO.
Others will chime in...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

I would look at a BBq store that may have a grilling screen.

squirtthecat

I think screen door material is coated in a plastic or something else to resist rust.  Might not hold up to heat, and I'm sure it's not foodsafe.

mikecorn.1

Some kind of outdoors store. We have Academy sports and
Outdoors. They always have in the BBQ and camping section, disposable grill grates that are round and rectangular. I'm sure you can use them more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

RFT

Quote from: jiggerjams on October 05, 2011, 05:30:25 PM
Being from Canada it is hard to get our hands on Frogmats. I was talking to my dad tonight and I was telling him what I was searching for. He suggested going to the hardware store and see what they have for screening. When my dad suggested screening he first mentioned screen door screening. This seems like a good substitute but I am unsure whether it would be food safe.

Thanks,
JJ

Can you get Jerky screens made for the Big Chiefs up in Canada? Smokehouse makes them.  I have a couple of those I cut to fit the Bradley racks. They work very well.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

rigstar

Thanks,
JJ

hey there fellow canuck,
just saw your post, i know its probably a little late, but i got mine from
yardandpool.com , shipping was reasonable to alberta
took roughly 10 days
hope this helps
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

viper125

Seen some on eBay quite a bit cheaper, but think max temp was like 180 degrees.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RFT

Quote from: RFT on October 06, 2011, 07:14:40 PM

Thanks,
JJ

Can you get Jerky screens made for the Big Chiefs up in Canada? Smokehouse makes them.  I have a couple of those I cut to fit the Bradley racks. They work very well.

Get Frog mats...   I melted my chief ones... Max temp is about 160 or so. don't ask me how I know,,, oh wait, i just told ya :)
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

SiFumar

Was looking for some screens for dehydrator and came across this site.  They sell what looks to be frogmats for smokers also.  They list Bradley as 3 for $15.  When I wrote for a custom size I asked about the Bradley mats...they sell for $5 a piece and shipping.  Just thought it might help someone.

http://www.clemsseasonings.com/products/drying_screens.html

Scotty Dog

Pizza Racks about $3 each.  I fold the sides to make a basket that will fit the Bradley.  Great for smoking nuts.

hybridcx

viper125

Quote from: SiFumar on November 19, 2011, 12:35:43 PM
Was looking for some screens for dehydrator and came across this site.  They sell what looks to be frogmats for smokers also.  They list Bradley as 3 for $15.  When I wrote for a custom size I asked about the Bradley mats...they sell for $5 a piece and shipping.  Just thought it might help someone.

http://www.clemsseasonings.com/products/drying_screens.html

Yes I wrote them and their heat range is lower. But I think acceptable. I'm thinking 275-300 not positive. But if your heat gets that high in the Bradley you have a fire anyhow. Most the time I never see 180 or 225
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.