Pork Loin-2 tied together??

Started by LindaCC, November 01, 2010, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaCC

Smoking a Pork Loin... It is actually 2 tied together to make one larger one. (bought like this). It has a fat layer on both sides. Would I cook it the same as a single loin?? Should I turn it over half way through??
After reading many of the posts...I:
  - Put a little olive oil and soy sauce and then a rub. Ready to go in now.
It is 7lbs, planning on 2.5-3hrs perhaps. Then FTC for an hour.

Habanero Smoker

A lot of markets tie two together to make a larger loin roast. Yes! cook it the same, but it will take longer since it is twice a thick as a regular loin, or you can seperate them prior to cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

That's a nice looking hunk of meat Linda and artistic photo besides.

I would have been tempted to cut it open, stuff it and then tie it up again.

Pork loin IT can really take off quickly.  Watch it close.  I might pull it at 140 or so (the bugs are dead), let it rest a while and then put it into a 400 degree oven to crisp up the fat.

Get back to us with pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

LindaCC

Thanks HS and Arnie for a quick reply.... I do want to try stuffing it next time. Just had to get this one going. Taking it to a friend's house that just had surgery to remove a thyroid full of cancer (to feed her family). Thank God it was contained and she is now cancer free.

squirtthecat

Very nice!  I'm sure they will enjoy it.

LindaCC

Arnie....putting it in the oven to crisp the fat sounds good. I actually layed some bacon on the top just before I put it in the smoker.
-How long should I let it rest before putting it in the oven.
-Can I FTC it and then put it in oven to crisp up when I arrive at my friends house for dinner???
-I can take the bacon off or leave it on.
What do ya think??? I know....too many questions!!!! (I'm a woman...details, details).

You all here are always so much help. Every one of my smoking endeavors that you've all walked me through have been over the top!!!

squirtthecat

I would vote for FTC, travel, then crisp in oven at friend's house..
(then they'll get that 'OMG!' smokey aroma in their kitchen)

I'd leave the bacon on - then discard it if it gets funky during the FTC..

LindaCC

Thanks so much STC, sounds good. I love a plan... I just took it out at 141. FTC now.... then off like Santa.

ArnieM

Linda, I'm used to questions - I'm married  :-\

I wouldn't even have used bacon.  The pork loin has a little fat on top.  Pork tenderloin is another story - very low in fat.

You can FTC it for a couple of hours, without the bacon.  (But save the bacon.)  At that point it has been 'rested'.  Then hit it with a hot oven for 15-20 minutes or so to crisp it up.  There's no need to rest after that.

I've take a boneless loin to about 140, let it rest and then cut it into thick chops and put 'em on the grill to finish, sauce or not.  

I'm sure it will come out good.

I'm very happy your friend is recovering.  Nasty stuff.  

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

That's a beautiful roast and I love your plan.  Ill bet your friends fall off their chairs,  Great eating!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

Very nice!  I will be keeping an eye on this smoke...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

LindaCC

Smoked Pork Loin was a BIG hit. Very moist. I think my friends are going to buy a Bradley!!! It was the talk of the night.
Thanks for all your help.

SnellySmokesEm

Very nice.  The loin looks great.  Last week I did one and it was great but after seeing this it might have been a little dry.  I pulled mine at 150 but next time I'm going to pull at 140.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

smoker pete

Great looking Pork Loin Linda.  The bacon adds a nice touch!

Glad to hear that your friend's surgery was successful.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

LindaCC

Took it out at 140... FTC for 1 hr+. Crisped in oven on 400 about 10 min. Purrrrrfect!!!