Looking for a "recipe"

Started by Caneyscud, January 03, 2011, 09:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

I have fallen in love.  I want to be buried wrapped up in this stuff.  The texture, the flavor, the eye appeal - I'm getting all tingly again!  Could not find a recipe with a quick search last night.  Maybe somebody has one.  I had some for New Years - not this brand - but this is what it was.  The one I had was mad in Hungary I guess - it had all this writing that looked like it was from some other planet - sorry I watched Twilight Zone all New Years Day!

The description of Smoked Boneless Pork Loin does not do this exquisite delight justice!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

I read a couple things that compared it to smoked salmon...  But using Pork Loin instead.

Perhaps mix up some of Kummok's brine w/ Cure #1 and toss in a trimmed 1/2 loin for a week or so?

[edit]

Saw this as well:

QuoteKaraj is similar to Lachsschinken and should be sliced thin to serve.

BuyLowSellHigh

A clue is that it was cured only with nitrite, which suggests it was not dry aged, but is fully cooked ("ready to eat").

If you have a copy of Kutas' Great Sausage Recipes ... there is a recipe for "Capicola -Fully Cooked" (page 331 in the 4th ed) using boneless pork butts that I think gives you the right basis.  The rest would be seasoning.  It involves a brine cure using Cure # 1, seasoning with Spanish paprika and ground red pepper, stuffing into beef bungs or synthetic casings, then smoking. and cooking to an IT of 152 °F.  There is a follow on for smoked butts that does the same, but uses stockinettes instead of casings.

If you don't have the book let me know and I'll type it up for you, but it may be tonight before I can get to it.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

Got his book as well as some other Charcuterie books, but they are currently not handy (loaned out).  Definitely cured, but with the texture, it cannot be cooked or dried - IMNSHO.  The texture is velvet, much like a very good lox.  Nowhere near the texture of a smoked loin, brined loin, or canadian bacon - or even raw.  I scarfed down what I got the other day.  I might have to stop back by and get some more and post a pick.  I would hate to do that, but being the benevolent goofpot I am, I'll do that for all of you!   ;D ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 03, 2011, 09:06:08 AM
I have fallen in love.  I want to be buried wrapped up in this stuff.  The texture, the flavor, the eye appeal - I'm getting all tingly again!  Could not find a recipe with a quick search last night.  Maybe somebody has one.  I had some for New Years - not this brand - but this is what it was.  The one I had was mad in Hungary I guess - it had all this writing that looked like it was from some other planet - sorry I watched Twilight Zone all New Years Day!

The description of Smoked Boneless Pork Loin does not do this exquisite delight justice!

I Hate You Caney!!!

After doing some looking and research on this particular product. It has now entered the obsession stage in finding it and making it myself!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

It is pork loin so once you determine the seasonings, you can use any wet cure or dry cure method you would use for Canadian bacon. The ascorbic acid is generally used as a cure assecellorator and/or to add more color. Sodium erythorbate or sodium ascorbate could be used instead. From what I've read; it's fully cooked, very lean, trimmed of all fat, and very smoky. Maybe 3 to 4 hours of cold smoke then increase the temperature to 200°F - 225°F and finish cooking to about 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Okay Caney, you got me going too.

From what you and many others have described for the exact product, my best guess right now is that it is a close cousin of the German Lachsschinken, which literally translates as "salmon ham".

Here are a couple of references, there are others and they all generally agree on how it's made, which by USDA standards is a bit scary.  Cured, cold smoked, but not cooked, an used like prosciutto.  The German version is coated with lard.

http://www.chow.com/ingredients/449

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/lachsschinkenham

My WAG is that it passes the grade for USDA inspection based upon a confirmed reduction in water activity to an acceptably low level and a sufficiently high salt content, which would be ~ 3 % in the remaining water phase.  Basically, like lox or cold smoked salmon, but done with pork.

Check out Google images for Lachssschinken

compared to Karaj from Hungarian meat market in NJ (family recipe version).

I have not been able to find any recipe reference for how to make it, other than the general description  in the link above.

pensrock

Gee I was in Hungary three times and never got anything like that.  :'(

But I did get to try many of their good wines.  :)

The beer was good if you could find a cold one, they normally keep beer at room temperature.  ???

SamuelG

From what I'm reading it is very similar to lomo/lonzino, but with different seasoning.  This was my attempt and it turned out very good.  Slicing it very thin it was silky smooth.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19363.15

Hope this helps.

SamuelG
SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

3rensho may be able to help us out here - at least he is in the right part of the world.

In addition to German lachsschinken it appears that there is a French version called Filet de Saxe, described as follows by Gourmet Britain, "Pork loin, which has been salted, smoked and encased in bacon fat. It's then eaten raw. Similar products are made in Poland and Germany (where it's called Lachsschinken)."

Also there is Filet de York which appears to be the version without the pork fat coating.

Caneyscud

I've had the Filet de Saxe - got it from Harrod's.  That is not it, at least not the version we had.  What we had was more similar to Canadian Bacon.  I've had some smoked dryed loin in the German way - not called Lachsschinken though (grew up in a German area of Texas and my Mom's maiden name is Voges) - but again more in the Canadian Bacon vein.  However some of the images of Lachsschinken look very similar.  I think SamuelG has it nailed.  I don't know what the outside of the product looked like - but the inside and slices look just like his Lomo.  Smokey and baby butt smooth.  It has to be a raw or uncooked product.  No way it could be cooked.  No flavoring that I could tell except for salt and smoke.  And I think what I had was made from the loin rather than the tenderloin.  But that so exquisite velvety texture.  I'm giddy again.