Newbiehere

Started by watchdog56, April 26, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Just got my new DBS last week and seasoned it already. Going to try to make smoked Lake Trout next weekend and in my old Brinkman charcoal smoker i would soak my fillets ( full fillets)  in a salt,liquid smoke and brown sugar brine for 12 hours then put them on smoker for about 6 hours on medium temp (at least that is what the gauge said). Now that I am using a digital I have a couple of questions. I have read where I should start at about 110 and move to 140 after a couple of hours but I was wondering how long I should cook them for? Is it going to be shorter than my usual 6 hours I did with charcoal? Also I would leave the skin on the fillets,should I take the skin off or leave it on? Should I cut the fillets into smaller pieces?

Mr Walleye

Hi WatchDog and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a brine and recipe for trout from over on the recipe site. A number of members have tried and commented favourably on it. I haven't had an opportunity to try it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=695#post695

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

watchdog56

Thanks Mike that sounds good. Will try.

watchdog56

Also I have a vacuum food saver that I plan to cut up the fillets and package them then freeze them. How long do you think they will keep and will the smoke flavor get stronger?

sherlock

WD, welcome to our world.
8)
Now the fun begins
:)

How did your fish come out?

Caneyscud

Welcome WatchDog! 

The forum is filled with great people with lots of ideas and experience.  You will find it a fount of information.  You will also find that the Bradley is one heck of a good fish smoker!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

watchdog56

Sherlock- I am going to try to smoke them this weekend.

aces-n-eights

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 27, 2009, 04:31:50 AM
Also I have a vacuum food saver that I plan to cut up the fillets and package them then freeze them. How long do you think they will keep and will the smoke flavor get stronger?

Welcome Watchdog!  I think your vac-packed smoked fish will keep a long time.  I smoke a lot of salmon, vac-pack it and freeze it for later use and a year is not too long!  I don't think the smoke flavor gets "stronger" the longer it is in the freezer, but i DO think it gets better.  The smoke tends to penetrate better and mellows over time.  I like fish that has "seasoned" for a few weeks or longer better than right out of the smoker - altho right out of the smoker is pretty dang good!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

watchdog56

Do you think I should keep the skin on the fish once it is vacuum packed and then frozen?

Tenpoint5

Watchdog Welcome Aboard!!
I have done Lake Trout but it has never lasted long enough to freeze it. Here is a pic of one that I did. It looks odd because I DIDN'T LOOK at the bottle of syrup and grabbed Momma's Butter flavored syrup. YUCK!!! It didn't taste bad but it wasn't great either.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

10.5-looks like you left the skin on is that correct? They look good.

Tenpoint5

Yep Skin on. I am going to try some with the skin off next time. See if there is a difference.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

aces-n-eights

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 28, 2009, 12:42:19 PM
Do you think I should keep the skin on the fish once it is vacuum packed and then frozen?

I remove the skin from the salmon i smoke before it goes in the brine.  Just my personal preference - guys smoke it with or without skin and it's all good.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

watchdog56

OK thank you. Hopefully will try saturday depending on weather.

watchdog56

Well did the fish sat. Soaked it in canning salt with liquid smoke and brown sugar for 12 hours. pur in smoker for 1 hour @ 120 which read between 110 and 135 after a while so I had to open door to help cool down. Then went to 130 for 2 hours using apple pucks. The no smoke and 160 for 4 hours. tasted fish and it was a little oily so I put it in fridge overnight and WOW what a difference. Turned ouot excellent. Thanks to everyone who responded to me.