Newbiehere

Started by watchdog56, April 26, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Well done Watchdog!! What the next project?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

I have some venison jerky that I use a liquid marinade that I have done in the oven before. I am going to try that just using the oven temp with no smoke.

watchdog56

Well now after 2 days the fish has a slight bitter after taste,not bad but there is something there.
Could it be because this is my first smoke with it? I did season my unit like the book says. My brine was 2 gallons of water and about 1 cup of canning salt,mix until a raw egg (still in the shell) is paced in plastic bucket and sinks then slowly comes to top,then I put in 1 1/4 bottles of liquid smoke and 1 cup of brown sugar then stir until dissolved. I have used the recipe for about 25 years with a charcoal smoker and don't remember it being this bitter. Like I said just a slight taste.

KyNola

WD56,
Not saying this is the answer but it might be something to consider.  The Bradley's smoke is a much "purer" smoke and it doesn't require as much as a conventional stick burner or charoal smoker.  Is it a possibility that the combination of the 1 & 1/4 bottle of liquid smoke in the brine and then 2 hours of apple smoke made the fish bitter?  It's about all I can think of because everything else in the recipe and your explanation looks good to me.

KyNola 

watchdog56

Yes I guess that could be. Do you think wrapping the fish in Aluminum foil and putting in the fridge has anything to do with it?

Tenpoint5

Might be a reaction with something and the foil. Look on the foil and see if there is any discoloration on the foil. There shouldn't be but if there is then something probably the salt is reacting to the foil and giving it a bad taste. Just a guess on my part.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

Nothing on the foil. It will be interesting to see if the fish I put in the sealed bags taste like this. No foil in those. I will be taking them to Canada with me in about 3 weeks.