New guy with 11 hours of smoking and one tough brisket!

Started by Bobbert, April 28, 2009, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbert

All thanks for all the help, as promised here is my second Brisket which turned out pretty good, still some tweaks, but here is the brisket for dummies (or at least the new guys and gals to smokers!)

I had a 4.3 lb beef brisket (Leave fat on) go with a bigger brisket and fat on!  Fat cap is key!

Basic rule is cook for 1 to 1.5 hours per pound (last one cooked at 1 hr per pound but needed to cook longer to tender up the brisket!!)

Rub (1/2 the rub made and used)
•   1/4 cup paprika
•   2 T Black Pepper
•   2 T Kosher salt
•   1.5 tsp Onion Powder
•   1.5 tsp Garlic Powder
•   1 T Chili Powder
Next time will add:
•   1 T of sugar
•   1 tsp cayenne

Rub (don't go crazy with the rub) Brisket night before and let sit in glass dish overnight. 

For a DBS
•   Set Oven temp to 220 degrees and Preheat
•   Set oven timer for 6:0O
•   Set Smoke for 2:20 hours with vent a little more than half open

•   Let cook for 20 more minutes
•   At 2:40 hours place Brisket into pan with Apple Juice (put about 1/8" or less into the pan, no need to over do it) cover with foil and put a probe in it!
•   Cook until  IT is about 200- 205 degrees (total cook time should be about 6 hours (but it is a guess right now)

Used all mesquite (smoke for 2:20) (make sure you hit the brickette advance 3 times prior to starting the smoke (last time the DBS did not advance one of the brickettes)
Fill Drip bowl ½ full of water

FTC - After the smoking / cooking process place the Brisket in a foil tray added back some juice from the pan, cover the top with Foil, wrap all that in Towels so that there is no foil showing then into a Cooler for an hour or longer the longer the better. (FTC for 3-5 hours)

I can't wait to try the next one!!!

Thanks

And by the way, take some leftover Brisket, and in a skillet fry up some potatoes, onions and peppers and then add the brisket for some of the best Smoke brisket Hash you will ever eat!!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

warba

Bob, That's some fine looking meat !

I should have known better than to browse the forum in the afternoon, just as the 3 pm munchies are setting-in. Now I HAVE to buy a brisket and some apple juice on the way home.

Thanks for inspiring me !

westexasmoker

Very nice Bobbert!  Brisket always gets my attention!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Quote from: Bobbert on May 19, 2009, 01:55:47 PM

And by the way, take some leftover Brisket, and in a skillet fry up some potatoes, onions and peppers and then add the brisket for some of the best Smoke brisket Hash you will ever eat!!

Thanks for a great idea Bobbert.  I had leftover brisket & some Hab's Syracuse potatoes & red pepper in the fridge.  It's hash for lunch!

Gizmo

Those Syracuse Salt Potatoes are really tasty diced and fried up with a little bacon fat and onions.  Add scrambled eggs and bacon, OH, that was breakfast this morning.
Not my fault, the dogs got me up early so I had a few extra minutes to cook before work.  :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/