Help a guy out....

Started by FlashOfBlue, April 26, 2009, 05:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlashOfBlue

OK, I have to play my "new guy" card here and confess a faux pas.  I picked up a flat beef brisket (about 3 lbs) BEFORE looking here for recipes and instructions.  Of course I found WTS' instructions for beef brisket which states "just say no"  :-)

So now what?  Any good ideas for smoking the flat?

Roadking

Habanero Smoker

Hi FlashoOfBlue;

Welcome to the forum.

If the brisket still has a fat cap, meaning that it was not well trimmed, you can use WST's method. Usually when I see them that small, they are too well trimmed and trying to smoke them, you will end up with a dry chunk of meat. What some have done is either place bacon on top of the brisket, or place bacon in a tray above the brisket to allow the fat to drip down and basted the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Hi FlashofBlue,

Like you, I'm pretty new to this stuff...  and this forum has been incredible...  my head is spinning with all the stuff I've been learning in such a short period of time!

Anyway, I've got some of the same worries as you (check out the photos in my own brisket post, I suspect yours looks very similar to mine...  although mine was 5.5lb, and I did have a small layer of fat over part of it (which I promptly trimmed off...DOH!!!).  Hopefully it will turn out, but even if it doesn't we've learned something.  I now know EXACTLY what to ask for from my butcher and will be taking photos with me next time too!

Good luck...!