New to smoking, please help

Started by joemets102, April 29, 2009, 06:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemets102

I recently was given a Cabela's Premium Electric Smoker for my birthday. I've smoked two briskets on it and was very please with the taste and how easy it was to use. I do have several questions and if anyone could help that would be great.

1. I soaked the bradley bisquettes for 2 hours and they fell apart in my dish.When using the bradley bisquettes, do you need to soak them?

2. When using an electric smoker, do you need to soak wood chips?

3. I did not get a smoke ring on either of my two briskets, but I could still taste the mesquite smoke. How do I get a smoke ring and is it needed?

Thanks in advance.

Wildcat

Not sure about what smoker you have, but I am guessing a Bradley.

DO NOT expose the bisquettes to moisture.  Even high humidity can ruin them.

The Bradley smoker does not burn the bisquettes, it smolders them.  Because of this you will not get the chemical reaction that makes the smoke ring.  You can not taste the ring anyway.

I hope this helps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: joemets102 on April 29, 2009, 06:36:41 AM
I recently was given a Cabela's Premium Electric Smoker for my birthday. I've smoked two briskets on it and was very please with the taste and how easy it was to use. I do have several questions and if anyone could help that would be great.

1. I soaked the bradley bisquettes for 2 hours and they fell apart in my dish.When using the bradley bisquettes, do you need to soak them?

2. When using an electric smoker, do you need to soak wood chips?

3. I did not get a smoke ring on either of my two briskets, but I could still taste the mesquite smoke. How do I get a smoke ring and is it needed?

Thanks in advance.

Hi  joe

I used to work at Cabelas and know the smoker good.

1. never soak the Bradly wood, its not made for that. Your Cabelas smoker should have had a wood pan for chips or chunks.

2. Soaking the wood chips, sawdust or chunks is a good idea in a smoker like you have. Bradley smokers are not made to have the wood soaked.

3. With most electric smokers you will not get a smoke ring. A smoke ring is just for looks, does not have anything to do with taste. If you desire a smoke ring you can use some Mortons Tender Quick.

nepas

joemets102

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping to smoke a pork butt soon, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Caneyscud

Joe,
Welcome to the board.  Tons of great people and information.  Wade in, ask a lot of questions and have fun!

Here is a link to the Pork Recipe Site.  It has several good ones.  You might have to modify a procedure to fit the Cabelas, but in general what works for one smoker works for all as far as recipe, time, and temperature.  For a first smoke, I'd pick one recipe - anyone that sounds good to you, then I'd follow it pretty much to the letter - no shortcuts!  The next time make the modifications that you deem needed, such as type of rub, amount of smoke, FTC or not, etc...  And yes, as you probably already know because of the briskets, sometimes it takes quite a while to smoke a pretty large piece of meat to succulent smoky tenderness!  But the wait and effort is worthwhile.  If you have any questions please ask.  We sometimes fall all over ourselves to help newbies.  It's our calling!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

joemets102

Thanks a lot, there is a ton of good info on this site and seems everyone is willing to help out.

bigcatdaddy

You wont find a better site!!!

BCD

Father Tom

;D ;D ;D  Welcome Joe.  Follow Caney's advise.  He is one of the best on the forum.

Tom

starship

Welcome Joe,

as you see by now, this site is full of good people who love good food, and helping others cook it!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html