where to get Brisket?

Started by moses, April 30, 2009, 10:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

hey guys i live in central NY (syracuse area) i CANNOT find whole brisket anywhere around here. everything is the flat and trimmed like a supermodel or its corned. does anybody know where i can get the point and flat together. ive tried every super market ma and pa store and Sams club still nothing. or does anybody know if i can order some offline?

Jazzbone

Are there no butcher shops in your immediate area?  I'm not sure what the meat selection is like in your supermarkets but I never get what I'm looking for at them...Of course I'm in Canada...Anything I get for the smoker comes right from the butcher...I did a quick google search and came up with 229 results for butcher shops in and around Syracuse...I don't know if I'd ever order meat online...I like to see what I'm buying, plus he'd likely tell ya when a good cut of beef is coming into his shop... :)

Happy hunting...
Jazzbone

Smokey the Bear.

I went into a Loblaws this week and asked for a brisket and he came out with 2 large briskets. I told him what i was looking for and he cut me a piece like i wanted. I will be smoking it this weekend.   ;D
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

Habanero Smoker

You should be able to go to the meat counter in Price Chopper and order it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moses

yeah ive been there and all they have is very trimmed flat the guy told me he couldnt get it. i just called wegmans in ithaca and they said they had some that were 4-5 pounders that still had about 1/4-1/2 of fat cap left he said it was cut from the middle so it has SOME point on it. do you think i should try that or will that be to dry

Gizmo

Sounds like your best shot so far.
You can always foil boat the brisket after the smoke to help with keeping it from drying out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: moses on April 30, 2009, 02:18:40 PM
yeah ive been there and all they have is very trimmed flat the guy told me he couldnt get it. i just called wegmans in ithaca and they said they had some that were 4-5 pounders that still had about 1/4-1/2 of fat cap left he said it was cut from the middle so it has SOME point on it. do you think i should try that or will that be to dry

I'm surprise your local Price Chopper can't get you one. I tried smoking whole brisket a couple of times and didn't like it. I just don't like the point. The one in my area will order one, at least they did that last summer. It is usually Angus beef. Sounds like you got a cut similar to what TDCooper purchase. I prefer the flat, but it sound you will have moistly the flat.

I agree with Gizmo, your not going to have a problem with that cut, you will have plenty of fat cap, and some marbling on the point end. I smoke flats all the time and never have a problem, as long as you start with 1/4" - 1/8" of fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moses

hey thanks guys i will give lt a shot and let ya know how it turns out

bflosmoke

Do you have a BJs inn your area I get mine there all the time in WNY
BFLO

moses

yeah i think there might be a bjs in syracuse i always go to sams i guess i will have to give them a try

wkahler

Got a 14 lb one from Sams this week and cooked it, didn't smoke it since i am still waiting on a smoker but i grilled!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!