Charcuterie's Spicy Smoked Almonds

Started by deb415611, May 01, 2009, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Yea, the egg whites help the spices adhere to the nuts the honey smoked almonds are so gooey when you take them out of the frig that it's hard to spread them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

laserdoc

Are we smoking before we mix the spices in or after. This is the question of the day
I see some folks will smoke prior to the seasoning and some after.
Is there a difference?

tailfeathers

The recipes I use are smoked after the nuts are mixed and refrigerated. No "roasting" other than that which occurs during smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

laserdoc

Oh well I started the cold smoke already. Going to do 3 hours for the almonds ,pecans and some Gouda.
Using the Amaze pellet smoker on this one with pit master pellets

tskeeter

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 01, 2009, 06:34:06 PM
I have made that recipe several times. Let me know if you figure out how to keep the spices on after a day or two. Mine tended to fall off after a few days.

BentRider, this is not from experience, but something that I think might help the spices stick better.  Mix the oil and spices together before applying to the nuts.  Then warm the almonds before applying the oil and spices.  My thought is that warming the nuts will open the pores in the nuts a bit and when they cool, the nuts will absorb the seasoned oil better than if you used cold nuts, applied the oil and then dusted the nuts with the seasoning.  Warming the oil some might help "bloom" the spices for a more robust flavor.  (Yeah, I know, I've been watching too much Food Channel.)  And the warm oil might penetrate the nuts a little better, too.

If any of you try this, I'd be interested in knowing if my ideas work.

real_lifer

Beat a single egg white until light an fluffy and add to the mix...
All the spices will then stick...
Will not change the flavours. :D