Charcuterie's Spicy Smoked Almonds

Started by deb415611, May 01, 2009, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

I have been meaning to try this recipe for awhile.  This recipe is good!

1 lb raw almonds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon finely ground kosher salt or sea salt
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cold smoke almonds 2 to 3 hours (I did 2 hours oak, I think I will go with more next time)
Combine spices & oil then toss w almonds
spread on baking sheet and roast 10-15 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven, stirring several times, toss with more salt if needed

In the writeup on the recipe it says that you should grind the spices in a spice mill,  I did not and I think they came out fine.

FLBentRider

I have made that recipe several times. Let me know if you figure out how to keep the spices on after a day or two. Mine tended to fall off after a few days.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

It's been a couple days and not much has fallen off but I'm not sure why.    I don't think they are going to last too many more days  ;D. 

I'm going to play around with some different flavors and try to reduce the oil a bit (though this might not help with the spices sticking to the nuts). 

KyNola

Deb,
You are so right about how good those almonds are.  I do them 6 pounds at a time and they last no time if our friends know I have done them.  We have no children except for our 2 Scottie dogs so our friends call pretty much every Sunday to see what's coming out of the smoker.

Gotta love your extended families.  :-*

KyNola

tsquared

I made a couple of batches at christmas time. (You can probably guess why i ended up making 2 batches!) I wonder if it would help make the spice stick if you were to  mix in some beaten egg white with the oil and spices before adding the spice mix to the nuts?
T2
BTW-this topic is going to force me to do another batch or 2!

deb415611

Quote from: tsquared on June 06, 2009, 07:46:10 AM
I made a couple of batches at christmas time. (You can probably guess why i ended up making 2 batches!) I wonder if it would help make the spice stick if you were to  mix in some beaten egg white with the oil and spices before adding the spice mix to the nuts?
T2
BTW-this topic is going to force me to do another batch or 2!

BTW - you bringing it back up is going to force me to do some more too ::)

I'll try a batch with the egg white, it might do it.  I wonder though - if you use the egg white do you need the oil?  Could be a calorie reduction. 

I left a small bag on a co-worker's  desk the other day.  (she has a weber bullet & had left me a pastrami sandwich ;D).  I got a "OH WOW" email  from her. 

NePaSmoKer

I guess i am going to do these too  ;D

nepas

deb415611

Just put a lb & 1/2 in the smoker ;D

Bradley (Head Office)

Thanks Deb

those sound good i have 2 lbs of them waiting to go in the smoker as soon as my 14lbs of chuck for pulled beef is done  ;D

Brian

deb415611

I tried them with egg white instead of oil.  1 extra large egg white for 3/4 lb of almonds & 3/4 of all the other ingredients.    I think the spices are going to stick better.   They are still really good but I think the ones with oil taste are a little tastier. 

sueblazer03

If your spices are not sticking to the nuts they may too coarse. I have a coffee grinder that I only use for spice blends. You could use a mortar and pestle instead.The spices should be a fine powder to stick properly.

laserdoc

Bringing this post back. Wonder if you guys got the spice to stick better and how

tailfeathers

I have a similar recipe that uses 1 egg white for every three cups of almonds. Combine egg whites and whatever spices you like, stir the egg white/spice mixture with almonds in a large bowl. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, smoke at 200-225 until dry, usually about two hours does it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

For sweet smoked almonds try this one. 3# almonds 6 oz honey 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup maple syrup 1/2 cup melted butter 1 tsp sea salt 2 tsp cinnamon. Combine all, stir into almonds and refrigerate 6 hrs, stir every hour or so. Spray frog mats with pam and spread almonds in a single layer. Smoke at 200 until dry, rotate racks periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

laserdoc