Bricks in smoker?

Started by SemperFiPhil, May 03, 2009, 08:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

Try putting the bricks on your gas grill and get them good and hot. Then transfer them to the bradley. Preheating is done in no time.

mikecorn.1

Now theres a good idea. thanks. :)
Mike

squirtthecat

Has anybody tried using a Lodge (or whatever fits) griddle in the bottom of the Bradley?  I was wondering if the heavy cast iron would act like a nice, flat heat sink..

Of course, I can buy a trunk full of bricks from Lowes for what a Lodge would cost..

Answered my own question.

Fair-chase

I'm going to look into that. Nothing holds heat or cooks like cast iron !!

FLBentRider

That sounds like a winner. It's just getting one the right dimensions.

A Cast iron V tray, now that would be sweet.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 26, 2009, 11:29:39 AM
That sounds like a winner. It's just getting one the right dimensions.

A Cast iron V tray, now that would be sweet.

I'm heading to a farm store in a while...  I'll check their lodge collection.  A big skillet would work good - if the handle didn't get in the way.

mikecorn.1

Check this out. I have one like this but all cast iron. Dont know if it will fit. Will have to wait till i get home from work.  ;D    Yes i'm at work today.   ;D   We dont use it. Maybe i can chop the handles off of it.  ;D Let see if the boss will let me. My mother in law gave it to her to make tortillas. Dont use it because we have a ceramic top stove. 

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/mikecorn_1/6d786b6c684a64624368726f786a3377-1.jpg[/img]]
Mike

squirtthecat

Anyone have their drip pan handy?  What are the dimensions?  (don't want to open the door of mine to check)

FLBentRider

I would measure a rack from your smoker, the outside dims should be about right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

11" x 14", w/ some wiggle room.  (had to open the door to rotate some trays of turkey legs)

Heading out now to reconnoiter..

squirtthecat

This will work..

10 x 10 by 1.5" deep - w/ ridges.  It was a little heavier than the others, an has more mass to it than the round skillets.   The griddle was 11 x 17".  Would take a blow torch/plasma cutter to get it to fit.

I just lopped the handle off w/ my hacksaw. Perfect!

Will try it later w/ a small ham.  Nice test to see how fast the cabinet temps recover.

I'll put a foil cake pan in it to hold the water.  I don't think the bowl provided will clear the biscuit feeder now..

mikecorn.1

Hey, can u post a pic of the final assembly so we can see how its going to fit in the smoker.
Mike

squirtthecat

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 26, 2009, 02:53:32 PM
Hey, can u post a pic of the final assembly so we can see how its going to fit in the smoker.

Certainly!

If it flops, I'm not out much.  I had a store credit to burn up at that place...

goblism

i have some flat pieces of cast iron we got in a load of junk years ago, wanna say they are 10" by 10", might have to try them once i get my obs in.

squirtthecat

I'll have to say - so far so good!   Pics coming shortly - perhaps in a new post - after I pull them from my phone.

I put the 10x10 lodge skillet (sans handle) on the bottom pan, and put a 9x9 foil pan in it to hold hot water and catch the burnt pucks.   9x9 full of water filled the original Bradley pan to the brim, if not more.

I brought the door thermo to 225 or so.  I've been cooking all day, so the box was hot.

I opened it up and put a fairly cold 4lb ham in the middle. (and turned the biscuit burner on - forgot to do that during pre-heat)

The door temp dropped, but came back to 190 within minutes.    45 minutes later, it was hanging at 200. (and I adjusted the slider to keep it there)