A big thanks to forum regulars - great first experience with my new OBS

Started by warba, May 03, 2009, 11:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warba

This is a great forum, and I want to thank all the regular posters for sharing their experience and advice; you made figuring out which model of smoker to buy much easier and learning from your experience made my first attempt at smoking turn out fantastic.

I just got my new OBS and PID and tried some maple smoked salmon and also some almonds and tomatoes. They turned out great, and was a heck of a lot easier than how we smoked meat when I was younger (sitting next to the smokehouse all day, slowly feeding wood into the fire). It almost feels like "cheating"!

Strangely, our dog is crazy for the smell of the "special blend" wood bisquettes. I used them to season the smoker and it was all I could do to keep him from licking the feed tube. Weird. Mind you, once the smoked salmon came out of the smoker he quickly lost interest in the bisquettes.

Thanks again for everyone's great advice; I'm looking forward to trying out the pulled pork, sausages, brisket, ..the list goes on...

Gizmo

Quote from: warba on May 03, 2009, 11:36:00 AM
They turned out great, and was a heck of a lot easier than how we smoked meat when I was younger (sitting next to the smokehouse all day, slowly feeding wood into the fire). It almost feels like "cheating"!

SSSHHHHHH, you are not suppose to give up the secret about it being easier.   ;)  ;)

Glad you had a great smoke.  You can always include some photos.  That is a hard part, getting the pics snapped before the food disappears.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi Warba and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!  ;)

Keep us posted on your future smokes. Also if you haven't been to the recipe site yet just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Lots of great stuff there from all the fine folks here on the forum.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

welcome to the forum waarba and  enjoy... looks  like your dog  does...

sherlock

smokeitall

La Quinta

Welcome warba...just a big family here...post away...ask questions...nice to have new peeps that can teach us all new "stuff"!!  :)

Caneyscud

warba, never forget the pledge - it is backed not by the Secret Service but by teabags (shudder)!!

"We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys."
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 06, 2009, 06:51:39 AM
"We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys."

Can I get an AMEN from the Congregation!

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta