Noob from California

Started by Da Marinater, May 07, 2009, 08:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Marinater

New guy here hoping to learn more about my sudden addiction to smoking.  I just quit cigarettes so this is as close as I get.  I have a brand "X" offset smoker  which has yielded OK results but I know I have miles to go. I'm also a culinary student part time and a certified baker. There is a big fancy French word for baker but I don't really feel like getting up to go verify spelling.

I was recommended here by La Quinta.  She and I live fairly close to each other.

By the way, Da Marinater was a weak attempt at a play on words for California's Governator.  I'm all ears when it comes to tips, tricks and recipes.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Da Marinater

Any friend of LQ's is a friend of mine. I was at her house back in Dec.

IMHO dump that offset and buy a Bradley and you will get way better results.

Boulanger french for Baker?

Enjoy

nepas

KyNola

Welcome my friend,
I'm with NePaS on his advice.  Dump the offset.  Before I became a Bradley addict, I too owned an offset.  It never produced the results I was looking for and wass way too much like work.  Part of that was my fault I am confident.  Once you use a Bradley just once, you'll never look back.

Hang out with us.  We all have a lot of fun and these guys have taught me volumes.

Has La Quinta ever hit you with a swinging teabag?  She is lethal on this forum with the dreaded teabag.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!! We have to give you extra credit and HELP since you DO live in close proximity of the TEABAG Lady!! Yes YOU have to dump the offset and get a Bradley. The offset is way too much work and it decreases the time that you have for enjoying your Adult Beverage of choice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Da M!

I concur with the rest....watch out for LQ!  ;D  I too ran an offset for years, but now have had my OBS for over a year and have never gone back.  Still have the offset, just gathering cobwebs on the porch.  Once again welcome and keep us posted.  Oh yeah, just make sure you use mesquite!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

welcome aboard Da M

Lots of good people and information here

car54

Welcome Da Marinater,

I love your handle!

Brad

La Quinta

These are silly, silly people...I'm just a mentor...if people need to be hypnotized because of bad deeds/thoughts...I help them...it's a public service really!!!  ;D

Please don't be frightened...and don't stampeded into anything!  :D

KyNola

LQ,
Actually, I think of you more of a muse than a mentor.  You are more of an inspiration than a teacher, especially when you start swinging that teabag over your head.  ;)

KyNola

Caribou

Welcome DaMarinator!
It is a cool handle!
Carolyn

La Quinta

I would have to agree Ky...I am but a muse...damn I hope the noobie doesn't figure it out?  ???

Gizmo

Welcome Da Marinater,
Look forward to seeing you in the near future.  I am down SoCal way and have the privilage to meet up with LQ and her hubby from time to time.  We'll need to get something set up soon.

Even with a stick burner, you'll find great help here but as LQ will tell you, our smoke times differ as we typically only need 4 hours of actual smoke.  Internal Temps are pretty universal as is rubs and treatments.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Da Marinater!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Welcome Da M....

I wouldn't dump the offset just yet!  There are limitations to every tool - and the Bradley, as great as it is, has limitations.  If you need to feed a 100+ people, it is possible in the Bradley, but takes some extra planning.  The Bradley is also electric (unless you get the propane one) and rain and electricity doesn't mix so well.  Unless you have your Bradley under some sort of covered area, you ain't gonna smoke during the rain, sleet, snow or under the threat of rain (with 18 hour smokes you have to look into the possiblilty of rain into the tomorrow's).  The pucks don't like to be rained on either!  Plus all places you might want to smoke, might not have electricity.  I did a fundraiser for about 50 people a month ago during which, I had rain and no electricity for all night.  It was cut off at night for conservation.  I had a couple of briskets and a 20+ pound clod as well as some butts and other goodies.  I had no choice other than an overnight smoke of almost 20 hours, which meant, I had no choice except to use my vertical offset. 

Now for normal everyday family smokes, and the specialty smokes and cold smokes - Bradley hands down for ease of use and the load and forget it until the alarm goes off capability! 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"