How to make a PID

Started by J_Koch50, May 18, 2009, 05:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Koch50

I just bought a new DBS 4 and am suffering from the cabin temp crisis.  I had the oven set a 200 degrees and even after 23 hours it never came above 140 degrees.  I hear this is a common thing?  My display on temp will just from 186ish to 201 in like 60 seconds.  I don't believe it's legit.  I have checked all my wire connections and fuses.  Would a PID be helpful and if so how are you guys making them or where are you buying them???  I am trying to be patient with this thing but It's pushing me to the brink of insanity.  Any info would be great....Thanks again, John

Gizmo

Quote from: J_Koch50 on May 18, 2009, 05:31:25 PM
I just bought a new DBS 4 and am suffering from the cabin temp crisis.  I had the oven set a 200 degrees and even after 23 hours it never came above 140 degrees. 

It still sounds like the plug on the unit is not making a good connection and that is a common problem.  A 140 degree temperature is common with just the smoke generator burner plate as the only heat source.  Unplug and plug the cabinet power cord several times and push in quite hard.  The heating element should be glowing red hot.  If not, there may be a loose wire in the smoke gen.  Does the unit heat up without food in it?  I recommend preheating the unit to 260 degrees before loading the box. 

The PIDS or other types of controllers are either made or purchased.  Many posts on the board here on the various types folks have used and or made. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Giz; it looks like you are only heating with the generator.

Most members are now buying fully built programmable PIDs, if you like to make your own here is a link for DIY's.
DIY PID Controller Instructions
Auber's Programable PID

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Welcome J_Koch

We would all like to be there on your deck helping you get that thing going.  A tear wells up in my eye when a smoker isn't being used for the enjoyment of smokey perfection.  Ditto on everything already said.  If that still doesn't solve the problem, Brian with Bradley should be along soon and give you more help or call Bradley Customer Service - they stand heads above anyone else with customer service - they'll get you going!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"