Onion Sauce for Brisket

Started by Habanero Smoker, May 07, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi Seemore;

I'm posting the recipe in this thread, because I don't want to hijack the other.

Sorry for the delay. It's that time of year I start 30 projects, and if I'm lucky I'll get 3 completed by the end of fall. I found the recipe, and it is called Onion-Braised Beef Brisket. The following is the original ingredients for the braise, which is then made into sauce, and the modified version of the onion sauce if you make it separate from the brisket. Changes made in the second recipe are marked in red. I made those changed to boost the beef flavor, since it doesn't benefit from the juices of the brisket.

Original Ingredient for braising
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 large onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 C. low-sodium chicken broth
1 C. dry red wine
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp cider vinegar (to season sauce before serving)

Modified ingredients for making sauce or extra sauce.

Original Ingredient for braising
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp unsalted butter (optional)
3 large onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 C low-sodium beef broth
1 C dry red wine (or pilsner beer or cream ale)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp cider vinegar (to season sauce before serving)

Heat oil in a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat. Next stir in onions, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute; add tomato paste and cook, stirring to combine, until paste darkens, about 2 minutes. Add paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring constantly, until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add broth, wine (or beer), bay, and thyme, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan; bring to simmer and simmer about 5 minutes to fully thicken.

Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes; stirring frequently. Strain sauce and place onions in a separate bowl. Discard bay leaf and thyme stem from the onions. Return liquid to the sauce pan and continue to simmer until it reduces to 2 cups. If you are using butter, add it at this step.

At this point you can choose to mash up the onions, or leave them as is. When sauce has reduced to 2 cups, add onions and vinegar and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste

You can either use it as a side sauce or pour in on sliced brisket (or pulled brisket) prior to reheating the brisket. This also taste good on mashed potatoes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

That sounds really good Hab's
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Habs,

That sounds good with your changes. 

thanks,
Deb

Habanero Smoker

The original Cook's Illustrated recipe works well when you braise the brisket; and I prefer the beer over wine. It's a two day process in which you cook the brisket by braising, then refrigerate it and let in marinade in the sauce and juices overnight. Then reheated the next day in the sauce, that has been skimmed of fat and reduced to 2 cups on the stove top. If you have the time and refrigerator space, you should try it this way. I generally will apply 4 hours of smoke prior to braising in the oven.

I had thought it is one of the free recipes that CI allows non-members to view. Unfortunately this recipe is not available to non-members online.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

Now this sounds good. I would like to give this a try but I don't think I fully understand the cooking proses.

Is the recipe in your first post just for making the sauce? and if I were to braise the brisket would the ingredient's go into the Dutch Oven raw?

Thanks Curt

Habanero Smoker

The first recipe is for both braising, and you use that same liquid to make the sauce, the second recipe is for just making the sauce if you are not braising the brisket.

The written steps for the actual cooking method are long and I'll try to shorten them; and post them tomorrow. I don't feel comfortable coping and pasting a CI recipe, that is from their paid members area. It has several steps, but I modified part of it for the OBS.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

Habs

That would be greatly appreciated.

seemore

thanks again habs ... I will try this never done a brisket this will be good.............. seemore

Habanero Smoker

This is my version of CI's Onion-Braised Brisket Smoked; it is not much different then CI's. I've made this three times, and everyone loves it, even those that don't like onions. I prefer to use beer instead of wine, but try the wine you may like it. Just use a wine that you would also want to drink. Also you may want to go with 3 hours of smoke if you don't like a strong smoke flavor. Note; I have never done this using the serve the same day method.

Ingredients
1 beef brisket, 4 to 5 pounds, flat cut preferred
Table salt and ground black pepper

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 large onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 C. low-sodium chicken broth
1 C. dry red wine (or pilsner beer or cream ale)
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsps cider vinegar (to season sauce before serving)

1- Preheat your smoker to 225°F. While smoker is warming up use paper towels to pat brisket dry. Trim fat layer to about ¼ inch thick. Liberally season both sides with salt and pepper. Place brisket in smoker, reduce heat to 180°F, and apply 4 hours of smoke. 

2- While brisket is in the smoker, prepare your baking dish and sauce. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with two 24-inch-long sheets of 18-inch-wide heavy-duty foil, positioning sheets perpendicular to each other (in the shape of a cross) and allowing excess foil to extend beyond edges of pan.  In a 5 quart heavy sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Next stir in onions, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute; add tomato paste and cook, stirring to combine, until paste darkens, about 2 minutes. Add paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring constantly, until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add broth, wine (or beer), bay, and thyme, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan; bring to simmer and simmer about 5 minutes to fully thicken. Pour this sauce into the foil lined baking dish.

3- Set you kitchen oven rack to the second from the bottom position, and preheat your oven to 300°F. After brisket has smoked for 4 hours remove the brisket from the smoker and place it in the foiled lined baking dish; fat side up on top of the sauce. Using a dinner fork poke holes in the meat; spacing the piercings about 1 inch apart. Pierce deeply, but be careful not to pierce so deep that you go completely through and tear the foil. Fold foil over the meat; first from end to end and seal, and next from the long sides of the dish and seal. Do not seal too tightly if you are going to test for doness with a dinner fork, because you will need to unseal the foil to test. If you are using a probe, then just take the meat to 185°F.
Fork Test: cook until fork can be inserted into and removed from center of brisket with no resistance. If you had the brisket in the smoker you should first test after 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the oven. If you did not apply smoke, and are fully cooking the brisket in the oven make your first check at 3 1/2 to 4 hours (when testing for doneness, open foil with caution as contents will be steaming).

4- When the brisket is done, carefully open foil and let brisket cool at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Set mesh strainer over a small bowl and strain sauce into the bowl, reserving onions and other solids. Next remove the foil from the baking dish, and return brisket to baking dish. Pour the strained sauce over brisket. Discard bay leaf and thyme stems from onions and transfer onions to small bowl. Cover baking dish and bowl with plastic wrap, cut vents in plastic with paring knife, and refrigerate overnight.

5- About 45 minutes before serving, set you kitchen oven rack to the second from the bottom position, and preheat your oven to 350°F. While oven heats, transfer cold brisket to cutting board. Scrape off and discard any congealed fat from sauce. Remove any solid fat that is in the sauce and transfer sauce to medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until warm, skimming any fat on surface with wide shallow spoon (you should have about 2 cups sauce without onions; if necessary, simmer sauce over medium-high heat until reduced to 2 cups).

6- While sauce heats, use chef's or carving knife to slice brisket against grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices, trimming and discarding any excess fat, if desired; place slices in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Stir reserved onions and vinegar into warmed sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over brisket slices, cover baking dish with foil, and bake until heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note if you are not smoking the brisket, then you should pierce the meat first, season with salt and pepper, and brown the brisket in a large skillet. Brisket tends to curl while browning, so if you have a Dutch oven or cask iron skillet, place that on top of the brisket to help keep it flat.

To make and serve the same day.
Remove brisket from oven, make sure the foil is sealed, and let rest for 1 hour. Transfer brisket to a cutting board, and stain sauce into a small sauce pan reserving the onions and solids. Then continue with the recipe at step #5; except you do not reheat the brisket since it is already hot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Thanks Habs, I think I'm going to try this. 

Do you think Guinness would work?  or should I get something else?

smokeitall

I think a step by step with pictures would be great.....and if you could come over and show me that would be the best ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokeitall on May 09, 2009, 09:22:02 AM
I think a step by step with pictures would be great.....and if you could come over and show me that would be the best ;D

As difficult as it is to find brisket in my area (lately), that does cost $5.00/lb or more. If you can provide the brisket I may take you up on that. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

WOW Habs

Now that was a great explanation

I will defiantly be doing this but it will have to wait till the softball tournaments slow down or give a weekend all to myself.

Thanks alot Curt