Newbie from the east coast

Started by slate, May 08, 2009, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slate

Hi All,

I have had a new OBS for a while but haven't had a chance to use. I would like to smoke some whole chicken and some back ribs. My question is weather to brine the chicken or rub and smoke? Also any suggestion for the back ribs would be great.

Thanks Jim

NePaSmoKer

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum.

Smoking whole chicken is pretty easy, some members use a brine so the meat stays juicy. When i do yard bird i just rub with my dry and rub with EVOO, Lots of ways to do yard birds. Ribs are just about the same, just make sure you pull the back membrane from them. I rub with BBBR and coat with plain yellow mustard, cover with clear wrap and put in fridge overnite.

The recipe site has loads of information and recipes.  http://www.susanminor.org/

BTW I am on the east coast also. N E Pennsy.  We are having a smokeout on June 20th If you can make it your more than welcome

nepas

slate

Thanks Nepas,

But what is EVOO and BBBR?

Jim

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!!!
Looks like Nepas has you set in the right direction.
Also BBBR is Bad Brians Butt Rub and EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Welcome to the fun

When i smoke chicken i like to inject with about 2 Tab of the rub that I'm going to put on the bird mixed with around 8 oz water. Berore i mix the rub with the water i put it in the coffee grinder first to make it into a fine powder.

I like to stand the bird on my BEER can holder like you would do for BEER can chicken but keep the BEER in my hand and let the smoke flow up through the bird, with 3 hr Alder.

If you like the skin you can finish the bird off on the grill to crisp it up otherwise its kinda like a smoked peace of rubber. Just make sure you have the grill set up for indirect heat and pull the chicken out of the smoker at around 140 F that way it don't dry out before the skin gets crisp.

I also do the brine thing, heck why don't you try both to see what you like?
Rember to take notes, I hated to take notes in school but now its kinda fun.
I almost for got the most important thing KEEP THE DAMPER WIDE OPEN.

bigcatdaddy

slate

I am off to season my smoker. 

Mr Walleye

Hi Slate and welcome to the forum.

When I do ribs I remove the membrane and rub them down, preheat the Bradley to about 260 degrees. Once I load the ribs I adjust the temp to 220 and I begin applying about 3hours of smoke for my taste. I usually have the vent at least 1/2 open. You will probably want to do a rack rotation about halfway through. Once the 3 hours of smoke is complete I let them continue for 1 more hour without smoke. Then I put them into a foil roaster, add a splash of AJ, cover with foil and throw them back into the smoker at 220 for another 3 hours. After this I will put them on the grill just long enough to sauce them. They turn out very tasty and tender every time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Mike brought up a good point about setting the vent. When you do the chickens open the vent the whole way to help get excess moisture out. Do not worry there is plenty of smoke it does not need to linger in the tower.

Welcome to the site.
pens

smokeitall

Welcome Aboard East Coast Newbie.

oldsmoker

Glad to see another smoker to the site. Great info here and a great crew.
OLDSMOKER

starship

Hello Slate,

You said east coast, and I'm thinking South Carolina, .......

I was in Halafax once, loved it.

Welcome and enjoy smoking!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html