Tough baby backs

Started by backstrap, May 08, 2009, 06:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backstrap

Hey folks...I'm new to the OBS and tried doing some BB ribs yesterday.  I smoked 3 slabs with each weighing a smidge uner 3#.  They were smoked for 3 hr @ 225 and tented & finished in a 225 oven.  They were extremely tough.  Any suggestions for my next go?

Caneyscud

Welcome Backstrap.

I'd love to have a little backstrap right now, sliced 1/2" thick dredged in flour and pan-fried!

But back to your baby backs.  A little more information would be helpful.  When you say finished in the oven, - for how long?  Also when you say tough, do you mean, the meat didn't fall off the bone?  Were they dry?  I've grilled baby backs and have not had toughness - maybe you got a "tough" batch - a pig that did his workouts!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 08, 2009, 08:19:37 AM
Welcome Backstrap.

I'd love to have a little backstrap right now, sliced 1/2" thick dredged in flour and pan-fried!

But back to your baby backs.  A little more information would be helpful.  When you say finished in the oven, - for how long?  Also when you say tough, do you mean, the meat didn't fall off the bone?  Were they dry?  I've grilled baby backs and have not had toughness - maybe you got a "tough" batch - a pig that did his workouts!
Or tough as in chewy because you didn't know about taking the membrane off of the bone side of the ribs. More info will help a lot in trying to help you dial in your perfect rib.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

backstrap

tough to get off the bone and chew.  I finished cooking for 1 hr in the oven covered with foil and some AJ in bottom of pan and yes I did remove the membrane.  I've grilled them before and had better results so I must of done something wrong.

bsheger

An hour in the oven at 225 may not have been long enough.  Were they starting to pull away from the bone on the edges?

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Are you sure your smoker was really cooking at 225 F also another hr in the oven would have got you to a total of 5 hr cook time which is what works for me as a base line to check for doneness. The amount of product in your box has alot to do with the cook time also.

Like bsheger said
Quote from: bsheger on May 08, 2009, 01:54:51 PM
An hour in the oven at 225 may not have been long enough.  Were they starting to pull away from the bone on the edges?

Just sounds like more cook time to get what you wanted.

Buck36

I had a cook tell me not to go by time but by the amount of exposed rib bone. He said the meat should shrink 1/4" at the ends when they are done.

Steps are laid out for you on this rib site.
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

This Texas crutch technique works well for me too.
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html

backstrap

Thanks ya'll...looks like increasing my cook time will solve my problem.