10lb butt?

Started by mtbike, May 09, 2009, 04:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtbike

i doing a 10 lb bone in boston butt today, my first one. i cym/rub last night and in to the fridge. this is for lunch around noon tommorow, when would you guys put it on? i ve read alot of post on this, but it will be raining and windy here most of the day today. the dbs is under a carport and shouldnt get wet, but will the rain effect the cook time?

oldsmoker

mtbike no expert mi will be doing two butts today both about 8lb. the last time i did the i rubed them lelt over night. preheated dbs to 270 put butts in that had been sitting out for about a hour. adjusted temp to 200 smoked for 3 hours hickery. took out and put them in a roaster and into the oven with a little apple juice. started smoke sat at 7pm smoke 3hr into oven at 200 and checked at 9amnext day. took out and ftc for 3hr meat just feel of the bone. great pulled port .  mtbike good mluck with your butt.
OLDSMOKER

KyNola

In my opinion, the wind will be a bigger factor in cooking time than the rain.  You might want to try to block the wind as much as you can.  Another alternative is to move the butt to your house oven after the smoke period and finish it there.  I put 4 hours of smoke on butts when I do them then into the house oven.  coooking time varies on every butt I have ever done.  To play it safe I would start around noon today.  If it gets finished early you can always FTC it or as I do FTM.  Foil, Towel Microwave, just don't turn on the microwave.  Don't panic when the IT of the butt "stalls" at around 160 for an extended period.  That's exactly what you are looking for.

Have fun and you're in for good food and lots of admirers tomorrow.
KyNola

ExpatCanadian

A bit late too help you now, but I was in exactly your position on Friday, had guests arriving around 3pm Saturday, a 9lb butt to deal with and the guidance of this forum to help me.  Mine turned out great, I'm sure yours did too...  and I'm really starting to believe that it's pretty hard the screw a Boston Butt up...!  They seem pretty forgiving!