Brat Seasoning

Started by smokeitall, May 11, 2009, 02:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Does anyone have a recipe for Brat Seasoning, to make my own fresh?  I am tired of buying a pre-packaged mix.  I would like to get some sore of starting point and I will experiment from there.  I am looking for a flavor of a good ol Wisconsin brat, usually served with kraut.
Thanks,

Habanero Smoker

Making your own is good but Penzy's makes a real good pre-made Brat seasoning. Use as directed, and don't add any salt. The mix has just the right amount of salt. Of cure if you are going to smoke them you will need to add Cur #1; 1/4 tsp per pound for small amounts, 1 tsp per five pounds for larger amounts.

Bratwurst Sausage Seasoning

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I have to admit I buy mine as a mix as well from Fareway. Can't buy the spices and seasoning for $3.99 like I can the mix and it does 25lbs or roughly 117 Brats. I just add to it. (Motzyrella Cheese and Beer)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Looks like I have a Penzy's retail store about 10 miles from me.  I will stop after work tomorrow and pick some up.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.

NePaSmoKer

This is for 10 lbs

7 lbs of lean meat   pork or beef
1 1/2 lbs pork fat
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
4 T salt
3 T sugar
4 T fresh parsley (chopped)
2 whole eggs
1 1/4 t white pepper
1 1/4 t black pepper
1 t nutmeg
1 t mace
1 t ginger
1 cup cold distilled water
2 cups whey or non-fat dry milk
32-36mm hog casings (opt)

Grind all meats together with med plate. Mix dry ingredients (and eggs) with water and mix well into meat. Stuff into links about 6" long or make into patties. Cook as usual. Can be frozen for 6 months.

Enjoy

nepas

Roadking

My mix for Fresh Brats is pretty close to Nepas's. Only difference is I use an extra egg (3 total), don't use any water or powdered milk (I use ice cold whole milk instead), and my meat mix is 2 lbs. boneless veal, 5 lbs, fresh pork shoulder and 3 lbs. lean pork trimmings. I also use a soy powder just to bind.

There's probably 100 recipes out there for Brats fresh and smoked, just have to find one that suits your personal taste.

smokeitall

Thanks guys, I picked up some from Penzeys today.  I will give that a try on a small batch and I will also give the other two a try on a small batch and see what I like.  thanks again.

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 12, 2009, 07:43:25 AM
This is for 10 lbs

1 1/2 lbs pork fat
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
4 T salt
3 T sugar
2 whole eggs
1 1/4 t white pepper
1 1/4 t black pepper
1 t nutmeg
1 t mace
1 t ginger

Grind all meats together with med plate. Mix dry ingredients (and eggs) with water and mix well into meat. Stuff into links about 6" long or make into patties. Cook as usual. Can be frozen for 6 months.

Enjoy

nepas
Thanks for posting this recipe Rick,
I was just about to post the same question about Brats when I saw this thread.
Could I use this recipe for venison, too?
My venison is ground with 15% beef suet so I wonder if I would have to add any more fat for texture and flavoring?
I love the venison Brats they have at Cabela's cafeteria.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on May 20, 2009, 04:57:00 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 12, 2009, 07:43:25 AM
This is for 10 lbs

1 1/2 lbs pork fat
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
4 T salt
3 T sugar
2 whole eggs
1 1/4 t white pepper
1 1/4 t black pepper
1 t nutmeg
1 t mace
1 t ginger

Enjoy

nepas
Thanks for posting this recipe Rick,
I was just about to post the same question about Brats when I saw this thread.
Could I use this recipe for venison, too?
My venison is ground with 15% beef suet so I wonder if I would have to add any more fat for texture and flavoring?
I love the venison Brats they have at Cabela's cafeteria.
Carolyn

I dont see why you couldnt use venison, as long as the fat to meat ratio is right so they wont be so dry.

nepas

Caribou

Thanks Rick!  :)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Carolyn,
After many attempts at Venison Brats I have settled in at about a 60/40 ground pork to venison mixture. In order to keep my brats moist. Also watch when you grill them as well it doesn't take long to end up with something looking dried out and from the Doggie Pix thread!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Thanks 10.5,
Will do!
Would possibly adding bread crumbs help with the moisture retention?
Carolyn

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 20, 2009, 12:44:25 PM
Carolyn,
After many attempts at Venison Brats I have settled in at about a 60/40 ground pork to venison mixture. In order to keep my brats moist. Also watch when you grill them as well it doesn't take long to end up with something looking dried out and from the Doggie Pix thread!!!

Hey 10.5 you use 60% pork to 40% venison?  I use about 70% venison to 30% pork, but when I cook my brats on the charcoal weber (no other way to cook brats IMO) I only put coals on about 1/2 of the grill.  I place the brats on the high heat side until I get the color I want on both sides then move to the indirect side to finish them off.  I like a little more venison taste in my venison brats, and cooking them that way I never end up with a dried out brat.

OU812

Hi all when i do brats or summer or any other sausage I use 60% deer / 40% pork butt with no filler and turns out moist for me.

Like smoketail said I seer directly over the heat then finish cooking with indirect heat.

Caribou

Does anyone ever boil them and then brown their brats on the grill?
Or would that ruin em somehow?
I've already got ground venison and ground pork defrosting so I can make 5 pounds of these this weekend.
Can't wait!
Carolyn