First Try at doing a whole chicken

Started by canadiansmoker, May 14, 2009, 01:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadiansmoker

I thought I should try doing a whole chicken in the Bradley (actually 2 chickens). I gave one a dry rub consisting of Wild Willy's rub, and the other just some spices lying around the house:

Popped them in the smoker for about 2.5 hours at 240 using mesquite (love that stuff for chicken!). Someone decided to catch a nap while waiting for the chicken to finish.

A few ours later, the finished product. The flavour was great. Of course, the skin wasn't a good as it could have been since I didn't finish them off on the barbecue. I'll probably do that next time. The meat made some of the best chicken sandwiches I've had in quite a long time.

NePaSmoKer

Nice smoked chickens there. Thats what you call a cat nap  :D

nepas

Roadking

Quote from: canadiansmoker on May 14, 2009, 01:18:35 PM

A few ours later, the finished product. The flavour was great. Of course, the skin wasn't a good as it could have been since I didn't finish them off on the barbecue. I'll probably do that next time. The meat made some of the best chicken sandwiches I've had in quite a long time.

I have the same problem with the skin and I finish them off on the grill trying to crisp it up. I like the smoke flavor of the meat but the skin turns to a rubbery uneatable item and I like a crisp skin. I'll stick with just doing them on a grill.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Roadking on May 15, 2009, 04:49:57 PM
Quote from: canadiansmoker on May 14, 2009, 01:18:35 PM

I have the same problem with the skin and I finish them off on the grill trying to crisp it up. I like the smoke flavor of the meat but the skin turns to a rubbery uneatable item and I like a crisp skin. I'll stick with just doing them on a grill.

Lightly rub some EVOO  or even grape seed oil on the skin and use a fan in your bradley. You will have crispy skin

nepas

SemperFiPhil

Gotta say it... those are some mighty good looking yard birds there! ;)