Smoked Spatchco.c.k Chicken Again

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 12, 2009, 05:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here is the chicken. Cut the backbone out, flip over and press to finish breaking the bone. Butterfly it, season both sides. Going to get 2 hours of Alder @150* low and slow  ;D then bumped to 180* until done.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Can't wait to see the finished Bird. Love Spatched Bird for the ease of handling.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Chicken is all done. Yummy  ;D

nepas

smokeitall

That looks great Nepas, I just picked up two birds last night from Sams for $6.50, I am going to have to use at least one of them and do this.

Smokin Soon

That looks pretty tasty! I like to sneak in some garlic and spice moosh under the skin when I spatch. Ever tried a Big Easy finish after the smoke?

SemperFiPhil

Great looking chicken NePas! Couple questions... what is a good ballpark time on the cheken after smoking for 2 hrs?  I know you said temp at 180... I know there are verables involved... but ballpark it.  Also... what is that neat looking screen you put under the chicken and for purpose? 

Thanks!

Smokin Soon

Those are the high temp screens from Yard&pool. Made for jerky, but a lot of us use them for everything. Easy cleanup.

Gizmo

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 12, 2009, 07:33:44 PM
Those are the high temp screens from Yard&pool. Made for jerky, but a lot of us use them for everything. Easy cleanup.

Those are not the Hi-Temps from Yard and Pool.  I believe those are the ones from Cabelas which I believe are Luhr Jensen for the Little Chief or big chief Smokers.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Gizmo

No problem Smokin.
I did a lot of research on Screens and have seen posts from NePa in the past to give me an edge.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Nice Nepas!  I think it's time to do chicken again :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SemperFiPhil on May 12, 2009, 07:19:25 PM
Great looking chicken NePas! Couple questions... what is a good ballpark time on the chicken after smoking for 2 hrs?  I know you said temp at 180... I know there are variables involved... but ballpark it.  Also... what is that neat looking screen you put under the chicken and for purpose? 

Thanks!

Giz is right on the screens, From Cabelas Luhr Jenson high temp screens for the Big Chief smoker. Width are perfect for BS racks but you have to trim about 1 3/4" in the length.

On the chicken i smoked for 2 hrs cavity side down @180* Then turned over and smoked for 1 more hour @225* then just heat @225* until the thigh got between 175-180*. To keep the skin from burning i flipped a few times and used the 3rd rack position up from the element. Vent was 1/2 closed and water in the pan. I did brine the chicken 4 hrs b4 smoking to keep it moist.

nepas

pensrock

So did you have to remove the skin or did it crisp up at those temps?