Newbie in Indiana

Started by semoney, May 13, 2009, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semoney

Hi to all! I really look forward to sharing information with this group and hope to gain knowledge to improve my cooking skills.. AT 57 years old, I need all the help I can get.

Got my 4 shelf digital several days ago, and the longer I read the more questions I have.  I'm at this time working on a 6 lb Chuck and from what I read 10 hours should have it falling apart. (Advise if I'm wrong...  plz) But the question I have is, I have plans on cooking 4 Chuck roasts, about 5 -6 lbs each. Does the "rule of thumb" 1.5 hours per pound work for the amount of meat I plan on smoking?  I really do not want to drive the party into the ground because of poor planning on my part.

I really like this smoker and I'm new to this..  I have slow cooked before, but never in the manner.  Also any ideas on cooking veggies for for my vegan friends. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Edit and Added to previous..

In addition.. I had no idea..  I found that after 11 hours it still was not done!  Then I ran across the Instructions below...  What does FTC mean?  Sound like cooking time will be 20 hours at least for this 6 pounder  ???  Advise on the instructions below

Directions:

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
          * Any left over rub can be stored in an air-tight container.
   2. Next wash the surface of the meat with cider vinegar, and apply rub.
   3. Place in a 210°F preheated smoker, and apply 4 hours of hickory smoke.
   4. When the internal temperature hits 160°F, remove meat from the smoker boat it in a foil pan with some apple juice and covered it with foil.
   5. Return to smoker and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 195°F. Remove from smoker and FTC for 3 or more hours.
          * If you like, you can take the internal temperature up to 200°F – 205°F.
          * Over all time was around 20 hours, plus FTC for 3 more hours.
   6. Shred with two forks. Serve as part of a main dish, or use for sandwiches.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome semoney

10 hours is about norm for your roast. However i dont think i would put smoke to it for that long. Maybe 3-4 hours of smoke then the rest just heat. If your going to do 4 your smoker IT will take some time to come up to temp. Maybe smoe the 4 around 3-4 hours then finish in the oven.

Check the recipe site and you will find loads of recipes and tips for the Bradley.  http://www.susanminor.org/

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Hi semoney;

Welcome to the forum. NePas got you going straight on the chuck. As for vegan ideas, google "vegetarian barbecue" you will get a ton of ideas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Welcome semoney.  53 here, well amost!  Good place to be if you have smoking questions.  Lots of good, knowledgeable folks here, and you have already heard from two of the finest.  I find that for me chuckies are real variable in cooking times.  I think it has to do with the amount of marbling and the initial tenderness or lack thereof.  I'd say 1 1/2 hours per pound is usually about right, but I've had some take longer.  I always use a thermometer with a probe in the meat when I do a chuckie.  I'm also afraid of dryness, so I mop - others foil. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"