I did it!

Started by nichelle, May 15, 2009, 07:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichelle

Today was the day! I've been reading this board for what seems like forever (a year). I've followed along as others have purchased their Bradley's and read about their 'first smokes'. I've read about the wonderful, fantastic results when using mesquite  ;) I've looked at pictures and read way too many recipes. So, I finally did it! I bought my Original Bradley Smoker tonight.

In case you can't tell, I'm thrilled! And I think you can guess how I will be spending my day tomorrow. As for tonight, I'm going to be searching for ideas for my very first Bradley smoke.

La Quinta

Very kool nichelle...welcome to the family!! We can be a bit disfunctional...dontcha' just love that???  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Do a pork butt. Very easy for a 1st timer.

nepas

nichelle

Thanks for the welcome! And I do love that. Dysfunctional is FUN. Although I've been a serious lurker, I love it here. Everyone is friendly and incredibly helpful.

nichelle

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2009, 07:41:59 PM

nepas

Thanks for the suggestion nepas. Easy is a good place for me to start. I stopped by my favorite grocery store on the way home but decided to check the forum first for ideas before jumping in. I'll do a quick 'pork butt' search.

Up In Smoke

nichelle,
congrats on the purchase...and i completely understand the excitement.
for the first smoke you should try chickenporkvenisonsalmonjerkysnacksticksbaconexplosionfatty.
with a diet coke  :D
seriously, there will be other more professional members along soon with some really good starter
recipes. you can relax, you are home now!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

The desert heat is getting to LQ    LQ

nepas

La Quinta

There are some incredible cooks/chefs on here...(I am not one of them...however  ;D) No matter how long you watched the forum...remember...no question is stupid...we are all here to help anybody who asks!!

Just remember...MESQUITE BAAAADDDD....MESQUITE BAAAD... :D  :D  :D

You're too new for a tea-bag session.... ;D (You'll know what that means in time!!!)

nichelle

Quote from: Up In Smoke on May 15, 2009, 07:48:27 PM
nichelle,
congrats on the purchase...and i completely understand the excitement.
for the first smoke you should try chickenporkvenisonsalmonjerkysnacksticksbaconexplosionfatty.
with a diet coke  :D
seriously, there will be other more professional members along soon with some really good starter
recipes. you can relax, you are home now!

I am still laughing at that! :D I want to try EVERYTHING but I'm going to take it slow. I do remember seeing pictures of something wrapped in a lot of bacon. I think I'll wait on that.

nichelle

tea? tea bag? tea bag session? Is there a minimum post count before one gets inducted into teabagdom?

NePaSmoKer

Here is a butt done on a Bradley propane smoker in the swamp in Florida.

Rubb your butt with BBBR, BadByronsButtRub or one you like then with PYM, PlainYellowMustard. Wrap with clear wrap overnight and smoke the next day with 3 to 4 hours of smoke at a heat of 225* then just heat until you get the IT Internal Temp of the meat between 195 and 200* and presto  ;D

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: nichelle on May 15, 2009, 07:46:50 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2009, 07:41:59 PM

nepas

Thanks for the suggestion nepas. Easy is a good place for me to start. I stopped by my favorite grocery store on the way home but decided to check the forum first for ideas before jumping in. I'll do a quick 'pork butt' search.

You can also check out the recipe site for great recipes.  Just click on the link at the bottom of my post.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

nichelle

Nepas that looks amazing! And it sounds really simple (even for me!)

And THANK YOU Gizmo for the link. I knew I'd seen a recipe site when reading the forum before, but didn't have the link.

smokeitall

Welcome Nichelle, I have to agree with Nepas a pork butt is very easy to do and very tasty.  It does take a while but since you got a new toy your going to want to play with it all day anyways.  :D

nichelle

Thanks smokeitall. It looks like pork butt will be on the menu for Sunday. I can prepare it tomorrow and let it sit overnight.

As for tomorrow, I'll be setting up the OBS on the deck and failing at resisting smoking something (anything) tomorrow.