Adjusting Temp?

Started by DjSaneR, July 21, 2009, 07:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

This weekend my cousin and I fired up his new 4 rack digital smoker.  Everything went fine except the fact that the temperature adjustment changed in increments of 10.  We wanted to cook at 225 but could only choose 220 or 230.  Is there any way of changing this? ???

Thank you,
Matt
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum DjSaneR!

I don't have a digital, but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the 5 degrees.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DjSaneR

Thanks for the welcome :D .  We are both new to the smoking world and were trying to do everything by the book. We ended up smoking with 230.  The ribs came out decent... definitely not fall off the bone, but they were still good.  Trial & Error.

I'm picking up a 6 rack digital within the next 2 weeks.  I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning your tips!

-Matt

Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

Time is the most variable factor in smoking.

You didn't mention how long you cooked them, or if they were baby backs or St. Louis.

If you like them fall off the bone, cook them longer.

I don't try to take the temperature of ribs, I look to see when the meat is pulling back from the bone about 1/2 inch.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

welcome to the forum Dj i wouldent worry about 5 degrees

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

I have the DBS6 and do most of my cooking at 220 F.

The display on mine is off by about 10 F so I set it on 230 and it cooks at 220 F

You might want to get a Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermometer. It has one probe you put under what you are cooking and one for the product you are cooking. That way you no what the product is being cooked at.

Then when you no what your smoker is doing you can use both probes for the product you are cooking when you are cooking two different things.

sherlock

Mine is only adjustable in ten degree increments. I guess thats the way they are made. I just live with it. Like they say five degrees won't make much difference.

DjSaneR

Quote from: OU812 on July 21, 2009, 08:51:19 AMThe display on mine is off by about 10 F so I set it on 230 and it cooks at 220 F
You might want to get a Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermometer. It has one probe you put under what you are cooking and one for the product you are cooking. That way you no what the product is being cooked at.

Thanks for all the welcomes!  One question about this thermometer... If I'm cooking ribs, where would I insert this probe?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Ka Honu

I don't think many of us use probes for ribs (any cut).  I generally go by "look & feel" - when the meat pulls back from the ribs you're in range, then when the rack is at the consistency you want (tender, fall off the rib, whatever), you're done.  Remember, FTC will allow the meat to continue cooking so factor that in.

OU812

When i do ribs it more looks than temp.

Look at the bones when they are showing about 1/4" there done or you can pull on a bone to see if there done to your liking.

Some like it falling off the bone and some dont, I'm on the dont side.

With ribs there done when there done.

Caneyscud

Most probes are too big of a diameter to insert, and will be influenced by the bone and/or surface temperatures rather than the meat.  I have one that is used for hamburgers that works for ribs as well, and some of the Thermoworks "thermometers" have some real small diameter probes.  I have found a pretty wide variance of temperature as to what temperature the meat pulls away from the bone.  I don't usually probe the ribs, I use visual clues also, but when I have, the usual temperature has been 172 to 175. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DjSaneR

Great tips, thanks.  So I assume I would use a probe for thicker cuts, ie:brisket, whole chickens, etc.?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum DJ!

The others have got ya right, with ribs once the meat starts to pull and you can insert a toothpick easily into the meat your there!  As far as using the probe on larger cuts thats where you want to do it, although on brisket I don't...but thats just me!  But with roast and porkloins always!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

OU812

Quote from: DjSaneR on July 21, 2009, 12:31:30 PM
Great tips, thanks.  So I assume I would use a probe for thicker cuts, ie:brisket, whole chickens, etc.?

Yep.

I use the probe for everything but ribs and p-nuts

DjSaneR

Thanks, guys.  I'll keep you posted on my smoking progression  ;D
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer