Need Help, my digital smoker won't turn on

Started by thepro8, May 16, 2009, 09:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepro8

Thanks a lot for the help Brian! I really appreciate. Great customer service.   ;D

thepro8

Called in today, spent 3 minutes on the phone, might have a replacement part tomorrow, and it cost me less than $20. Awesome customer service! Can't thank you guys enough. Time to thow some brisket!!

thepro8

Hey Brian, I got the new power unit, hooked it up and it still won't turn on. Surprisingly i put th multimeter on the all the connections again and I only got 115V out of the same 3 connectors, so maybe i'm just testing it wrong. Only other thing I'm noticing that looks wires is when inspecting the connector coming off the ribbon cable from the LCD, it's missing one of the pins. Don't know if this is intentional or if something is broken.

I tried to call in todya, but can't get a hold of anyone.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Steve

You should have 11 pins in the connector

Can you tell me exactly how you tested the wires ( were you put your probes ) and what you read on each wire maybe I can reproduce the results here.

Sorry about not getting a hold of anyone this morning there was an incident at the warehouse this morning.

Brian

thepro8

Brian. Below is a picture of the multimeter i'm using. I set it to 200 ACV, I put the black probe into a ground of the socket coming out of my wall, and then use the red probe on each of the high voltage lines coming out of the power brick. I'm getting nothing out of the red, white or black wires and 115V out of the other 3 wires.

I also noticed my connector on the ribbon cable coming out of the LCD unit looks like it's missing a lead. If you place the raised part of the connector up, the lead is missing from the fifth wire from the left. Don't know how that happened.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Steve

Thanks for the pictures
I reproduced your results your no power problem is caused bye the missing pin in the ribbon connector

You are going to need a new digital display panel

Brian

thepro8

Brian, thanks for the help. I think i was told the digital display pannel costs around $100. Seems like too much money to spend if it's just a broken pin.....so....I cut the wire on both end, soldered them together, reconnected it all, and it works!!!!! Thanks a ton for the help.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Steve

Your more than welcome and  thank you for the help with all the pictures

I know the display is not a $100.00 item, that sounds more like the price on a whole generator.

Glad your up and running

Brian

thepro8

ok, maybe i got my pricing wrong.

Powers working, and now...E1 error. doh...i'll work though it and maybe order some new cables.

thepro8

lol, ok, figured out the E1 error. the plug on the generator side is a little rusted. I cleaned it wth CLR and its working for now. I might replace it anyway.

...And now I get the E error lol...man my smoker was messed up. I'll try to work though this.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Steve

Your havin some run of bad luck there

The E error is your micro switch connection in the generator

Check these connections

thepro8

Got the switch issue resolved. I don't look at is as a run of bad luck, more like maintenance after a couple years of use. This is cake compared to all the troubleshooting i do on my motorcycles each season  ;D

thepro8

Ok so everything works ok except one more thing. The heating element turns on and heats up nicely I think, but the temp reading on the lcd seems wrong. It started at 80 degrees and as the smoker headed up to pretty hot on the inside the reading on the lcd dropped down closer to 74 degrees (close to what the outside temperature is). Is there a fix for this?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Steve

Try this take a match or lighter and place it in front of your temp sensor for a second or too no more than that it will not take that high of heat

Brian

thepro8