Couple of questions before I buy a new Bradley

Started by kaz, May 17, 2009, 07:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

GREAT FORUM!!!
You guys & gals are really passionate about this stuff!!
I joined this morning and can't leave this site!!!
Fast forward: Burned up my cheapo can-style electric. Started checking with friends, found a guy with a Green Egg and a Bradley ........ it's going to be a Bradley ..... learned here about a PID, this morning. My needs are reasonably basic stuff. So ....... I'm thinking the OBS (see I'm already using abbreviations!!!) with a PID instead of a DBS ...... 4 rack ...... probably stainless.
Is the OBS/PID combo better than the DBS?
Bubba pucks?
Best $$$ I've seen is on Amazon (excusing eBay) for a warranty & price & free shipping.
Any thoughts / recommendations /advice?
thanks from a BRAND NEW MEMBER!!!
KAZ

Toker

KAZ let me be the 1st to wish you welcome aboard!!  :P
And yes the obs/pid is a better choice than a dbs the temperature will be more constant you'll see and you'll save some $$.

And the bubba pucks are aluminium pucks that's allow you to end your smoking cycle (you'll need 3 of them) you really can not use your obs without it you'll see.

Hope you'll enjoy your time on this forum ITS BY FAR THE BEST ON THE NET AND I MEAN IT!!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: kaz on May 17, 2009, 07:02:16 AM
GREAT FORUM!!!
So ....... I'm thinking the OBS (see I'm already using abbreviations!!!) with a PID instead of a DBS ...... 4 rack ...... probably stainless.
Is the OBS/PID combo better than the DBS?
Bubba pucks?
Best $$$ I've seen is on Amazon (excusing eBay) for a warranty & price & free shipping.
Any thoughts / recommendations /advice?
thanks from a BRAND NEW MEMBER!!!
Welcome Aboard Kaz, For Starters the OBS with a PID would do just fine I have the 4 rack Digital. I see your excusing Ebay for a warranty and price and free shipping. The warranty comes with the Bradley no matter who sells it. Price well I will leave that one alone. Shipping, If I remember right a couple of members here have free shipping as well. If your on the East Coast, Bryon at Yard and Pool will give you a good deal AKA: Begolf25 around here, Then there is West Coast Sausagemaker (WCK) on the Weat Coast and in the Central (Iowa) there is Tiny Tim. What better support system could you get than from all the wonderful, colorful Folks right here on the forum. Just ask and it will be answered.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

nichelle

Hi kaz - I'm a newbie here and just made my purchase on Friday. I'd been watching this one on ebay from the Bradley Store. It's a 4 rack stainless OBS currently at about $200 with $55 shipping. It ends in 5 hours so it will certainly go up. But that has the potential to be a great buy.

Thought I'd mention it since you are looking...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280343095034&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I went with a black OBS. I haven't purchased the PID yet, but plan to soon. I ordered bubba pucks yesterday and wish I'd gotten them sooner.

ETA: Forgot to add, the ebay one comes with a free box of bisquettes, your choice of flavor

kaz

Thanks!!!
The concerns I have with this auction is the issue with shipping from Canada. Impossible to track once it clears customs ......... but thanks for the heads up.
AMAZON appears to have the best deal , shipping included.
Will likely wait a few says for a few more tips before I order.
KAZ

nichelle

Understood. I was going to go through Amazon as well since I used their 'prime' service. Shipping would have been included. Then on Friday I decided not to put it off anymore, went to my local Gander Mountain and bought it off the shelf. It cost me an extra $30 but I'm currently smoking a pork butt and enjoying every minute of it!

NePaSmoKer

Welcome kaz

You cant beat the Bradley Smoker line. Its the best electric smoker i have used and had and i have had allot. 5 Star customer service also.

The OBS with an Auber programmable PID just cant be beat.

nepas

Up In Smoke

I have to echo Nepas,
the OBS with a programmable pid is really hard to beat, very versatile.
Oh and welcome to the forum.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Toker

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: toker1313 on May 17, 2009, 11:57:19 AM
Or maybe with a bbq guru. ???

I had a BBQ Guru/Raptor combo on my OBS, not as good as the PID and the Guru was more $$

nepas

Toker

Pls could you explain me why the pis is better cause i don't have one would be nice.

p.s. i knew it is more $$$

Up In Smoke

Toker,
the programmable pid lets you program your cook
from 1 to 6 time and temp settings.
for example you want to cook for 1 hour at 150 degrees and then ramp up to 200 degrees
for 2 hours, and then finish at 250 degrees, you can program the pid to handle all of that for you.
no fooling around with the temp control on the smoker.
just one of the accessories that make things a little nicer.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Toker

i thought i was able to do it with my procom 4?  ???

Up In Smoke

Sorry, not familiar with that unit.
i am sure someone will be along with more info.
2 Bradley OBS

kaz

You guys & Gals are G R E A T!!
I'm overwhelmed!!!
I'll likely order my Bradley this week............. and a PID .......... likely the OBS.... in Black? Or Stainless?
Likely from AMAZON ............ but I will check eBay, first.
Then onto your recipe site!!!
KAZ