Couple of questions before I buy a new Bradley

Started by kaz, May 17, 2009, 07:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

take the less expensive the color does not matter  ;D

Wildcat

Either will be fine.  I have the stainless.  Went with it because I live in a humid portion of FL.  Do not know why I bothered since I keep it indoors when not in use anyway.  Still, the exterior looks nice and shiny and gets the attention of anyone visiting.

Welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Mr. Kazman...stainless, in my humble opinion, is a vanity thing if you are commited to the OBS...heck you cover it up anyhoo when you're not using it...but if you like that...then spend the dough...the unit works the same in whatever color you choose!!  :)

Welcome to the family!!

starship

Welcome,

a late echo but anyway,

The OBS with a PID, working great for me. Love it!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker1313 on May 17, 2009, 02:41:50 PM
i thought i was able to do it with my procom 4?  ???

Toker;

You have a fine temperature control device. Although you can't program it like a programmable PID, you have the ease of use just to sit any wheres within two football fields and change or monitor the your temperature at any time. If I couldn't have both features, I would rather have that one.

I was going to make the ProComm 4 one of my toys in the near future. I see they just released the Cyber II on the market. Now it's a hard choice, the ProComm 4 gives you more mobility, the remote for the Cyber II is your PC or some other hand held device that can access your wireless network. I think I'll send Shotgun Fred a suggestion to add a remote (like the ProComm 4) as an accessory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BruceH

Quote from: kaz on May 17, 2009, 07:02:16 AM
Best $$$ I've seen is on Amazon (excusing eBay) for a warranty & price & free shipping.
Any thoughts / recommendations /advice?

Do you have a Cabelas retail store near you?  If so and you want to shop locally and avoid shipping issues, some Cabelas retail stores have the Orig 4 rack model on sale for $274.99 till May 25th.  That is the route I took last year and have been happy with the results.  

As far as advice, read as many posts on this forum as time permits.  This will allow you to get good results the very first time.   I've been doing that for a while and appreciate the time other members have taken to share their knowledge.  
Bradley Original Smoker - 4 Rack
Bubba Pucks, Maverick ET-73 Thermometer

kaz

I'll check the Cabela's web site --- THANKS (again) to all that keep adding more GREAT info to my brain.
The friend that introduced me to his Bradley (and his Green Egg) mounted his DBS on a rolling appliance dolly and it REALLY works great for easily wheeling it in and out of it's storage spot. I already have one I purchased (cheap) at Harbor Freight (another G R E A T shopping place if you've never been there and are a tool junkie like me). It's a rectangular frame of hardwood with carpet strips at each end and sits on strong casters. Mount a pan typically used for water heaters or furnaces underneath with oil absorbant granules and aluminum foil and you have a really slick little full-time cart that can be wheeled out onto your driveway with little chance of leaving a stain!!!
Since I haven't read the instruction booklet (cuz I don't own one yet) --- what is the deal on using extension cords?
Thanks, again, EVERYONE!!!!
KAZ

BruceH

Kaz .... The Cabelas promotion appears to be for in store only.  The online web site is showing $299.  However you can use the website to view the advertising flyer for a particular store.  Do you have a store near by?
Bradley Original Smoker - 4 Rack
Bubba Pucks, Maverick ET-73 Thermometer

kaz

No Bruce, I don't ............ but another person from this site recommended "Tiny Tim" and sent his e-address ..... I dropped him an email ....... shared my shopping list and BAM ....... he's about to sell me my new OBS. I'm also using the money saved from NOT buying the stainless digital (my original plan before this forum) and ordering the PID and a set of BubbaPucks!!!!!!
Hell, I didn't even know what OBS or a BubbaPuck or a PID was 2 days ago!!!!!!!!!!
KAZ

Wildcat

Quote from: kaz on May 18, 2009, 03:44:16 PM
No Bruce, I don't ............ but another person from this site recommended "Tiny Tim" and sent his e-address ..... I dropped him an email ....... shared my shopping list and BAM ....... he's about to sell me my new OBS. I'm also using the money saved from NOT buying the stainless digital (my original plan before this forum) and ordering the PID and a set of BubbaPucks!!!!!!
Hell, I didn't even know what OBS or a BubbaPuck or a PID was 2 days ago!!!!!!!!!!

he he he.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Quote from: kaz on May 18, 2009, 03:44:16 PM

Only goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Not you but me.  Been smoking for quite awhile, but had never heard of them things either until last fall. ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Hey Kaz your going to love that setup, I have the same one and am very happy.

kaz

I cannot say THANK YOU enough to the folks, here, who have been SO generous with their guidance and input!!!
I've ordered the PID, thanks to your input!!
I've ordered the BUBBA PUCKS, Thanks to your input!
I will SOON order the OBS and some selection of bisquettes .... a whole new set of questions (for me, at least) from Tiny Tim (of this site)
I have my base set up for the roll-around platform .........
Mt NEXT set of questions will surround recipes and techniques.
I tried to register at the recipe website but have had no luck getting recognized ..... maybe it takes awhile.
I REALLY want to try the Cabritas I saw everyone raving about, Salmon, and pork Butt .... NONE of which I've EVER smoked!!!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANK YOU, all (y'all) for your G R E AT HELP!!!
KAZ

Caneyscud

Quote from: kaz on May 19, 2009, 02:15:09 PM

I REALLY want to try the Cabritas I saw everyone raving about, Salmon, and pork Butt ....

Not being picky or anything and it was probably just a misstruck key, but you probably mean carnitas - cabritas is a completely different animal or something that goes pop in the microwave - literally!

But if you want cabrito, we can help with that too. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

kaz

You're right (my bad) but actually I love Cabrita (goat) ........ and as much as I'd love to try making it .... 2 things are against that happening: 1) Mrs. Kaz is a picky eater and goat aint on that girl's list 2) Krogers (around here) dont sell goat ..... or at least don't mark the packages as GOAT!!!
I meant Carnitas ....... and I love Carnitas!!!! So I will try that early after getting my OBS.
Now .............. anybody got a really authentic recipe for Guisado?
I'm afraid of offering ANY recipe to the pro's on THIS web site ..... you guys wrote the book!!!!!!!!
KAZ