How To Make Ribs in a Bradley Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, May 17, 2009, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Since we have quite a few new folks here on the forum and it seems that everyone wants to do Ribs or Chicken for their first smoke. I thought I would try to help out with a pictorial of how I make my ribs.

How To Make Ribs in a Bradley

First let me begin by saying that making ribs is like combing your hair. EVERYBODY does it different!! This pictorial is of how I make ribs in the Bradley Smoker. It is ment to be a guideline for you to follow and make adjustments when and where you deem necessary in order to make your ribs YOURS.

I am using Pork Spare ribs in this pictorial, I also found some Boneless Pork Loin Ribs that needed some loving as well.

Once you have your ribs out of the package and drained.

You will want to remove the membrane on the inside of the ribs. This can be done by sliding the handle of a spoon under the membrane to loosen it up and get it started.

Once you have the membrane started. Grab a hold of it and pull firmly and gently. Until you have the membrane removed. If it breaks just start again until you have it removed.

Now that you have the membrane removed it is time to apply your rub. Apply your rub to both sides of the ribs. I personally like a heavy even coating.

Cover your ribs with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate either overnight or for 3-4 hours.

After the ribs have marinated bring them up to room temp. This will help lessen the temperature drop when you put them in the Bradley, and speeding up the heat recovery from when you opened the door, and put the ribs in.

Some Boneless Pork loin Ribs

Once your Bradley has come up to temperature (I like 225*) and the smoke has started to roll.  Put the ribs in the smoker.

I apply 3 hours of Hickory, You can use the Flavor of your choice. After 3 hours of smoke Shut off Smoke Generator. Wrap your ribs in foil with a splash of Apple Juice, My Favorite is Apple Raspberry.

Return the rib packets to the smoker for 1 or 2 hours (1 Baby Backs, 2 Spares) After the ribs have spent their time in the foil wrap. Remove them from the smoker and remove from the foil. Your ribs are just about done. Might even look done, but there is one more step. You have to sauce them.

After Putting the Sauce on the ribs place them back in the Bradley for 1 hour. The ribs will stiffen back up and the sauce will set. The meat should tell you when it is ready, The meat will pull back from the bone, as you can see in the picture. The bigger half of the slab didn't pull back because it sprung a leak while in the foil.

Your ribs are now Ready to cut up and enjoy!!

Are they Good?

A plate for the one at Baseball Practice, BBQ Ribs, Whistle Berries and Tater Tots.

Hopefully this little pictorial will help you make "The Best Ribs Ever Dad!!! Or Mom"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Nice 10.5...thanks for doing that....and just go on with your bad HICKORY SELF!!!!  :D  :D  :D You know I'm a hickory chick from waaaay back!!! (Well, not that far back :))

deb415611

Caneyscud

Great job, 10.5.  Hope it holds off raining sometime in near future, so I can start using the Bradley again.  Gotta go find some cheap meats. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

sodak

Roadking

smokeitall

Thanks Chris, very nice write up.  Ribs are the one thing that I have not done in the smoker yet.  Looks like you have inspired me to go and get some.

Looks like those boys and their sister could barely pull themselves away from eating to give the thumbs up.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on May 18, 2009, 10:50:39 AM
Thanks Chris, very nice write up.  Ribs are the one thing that I have not done in the smoker yet.  Looks like you have inspired me to go and get some.

Looks like those boys could barely pull themselves away from eating to give the thumbs up.
Ah I will let the Daughter know. She's in the middle feeding her face!! Although with three brothers that girl would send a rattlesnake away in tears!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I edited my post, sorry I am at work and just scanned the pictures quickly.

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. Is this complete?

When I add it to the recipe site I'll provide you with a link prior to making the post public.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

Thanks 10.5 for taking the time to do this.
really good info, and great pics.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

nichelle

Thanks for this post! I think I'll print this off and use it as a guide this weekend. LOVE the pics!

seemore

ok not bad 10.5 I what bb..sat and a cold beer
seemore

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 18, 2009, 02:13:58 PM
Looks good. Is this complete?

When I add it to the recipe site I'll provide you with a link prior to making the post public.

Yes Habs it's Complete.

NePaSmoKer