How To Make Ribs in a Bradley Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, May 17, 2009, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

DAMN! I was so hoping to have my ribs for dinner tonite - but they won't be ready till 10pm if I start now...boo hoo!!

Can't wait to try this recipe 10.5 - thanks heaps from this newbie  :)

Going to do Asian style spare ribs at the same time (that's just boneless belly slices - what are they called over in the US?)

I want to try some middle eastern rubs also...(like Baharat or Ras el Hanout) has anyone had success with anything other than a BBQ style/taste...?

Foodie

Well - I gave these ago...they came out really well - nice and tender.

The mix was too hot for me though - so next time I will omit the chilli powder and go down to 2tbsp black pepper (I am a sook! ;))

To move things along I put mine in the kitchen oven after 3hrs smoke (wrapped in the foil with a dash of fresh OJ - all I had) for 1hr @ 180oC then added sauce and did another 1/2hr @180.

I must have used too much rub - it was quite overpowering, for me?

The real smoke flavour was really good though!

Quarlow

Foodie did you just sprinkle on the rub or did you rub it in. If you rub it in you shouldn't end up with too much on however just sprinkling it on can put too much on. Glad you got the basics of doing ribs.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Foodie

Hey Quarlow - I rubbed it in and shook off excess?

Maybe it's just personal taste. I have cooked ribs forever (but not smoked) - have a gorgeous BBQ style sauce recipe (but it's more complex and a 'wet' marinade) - so I might try them a different way next time by using the smoker instead of the chargriller step with this particular recipe.

I just couldn't taste the meat with this rub and then all the sauce on top..? I was wondering if there was a measured amount I should have used..?

(I had a couple of ham end bones/hocks left over from Xmas and smoked them at the same time - ready for my next pea and ham soup...so looking forward to trying this!? I picked a few yummy bits off these and it was so good I nearly couldn't stop myself!? :D)

Quarlow

Geez, stop. you're making me hungry. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokin Paulie

You are "THE MAN" . I've been using your recipe and procedure for about 6 months and these are killer ribs. Today is the 4th of July and the ribs are in the Bradley. I'ts hard to keep the family away when I use the word "RIBS".
Thank you, Thank you.

orion39

Very nice presentation. I will share my experience with ribs in my pellet smoker.  I purchased some Baby Back Ribs that were made by Tyson. I smoked them for about 3 hours, then in foil for 2 and supposed to finish them off for another hour but they were already finished.  Well anyhow i thought i was eating ham and not ribs.  I put a dry rub on them for 3 hours prior to the smoking.  There seems to be many different opinions on how long to leave the dry rub on.  So reviewing the different forums, i found out that if the ribs are enhanced (pre-brined) by the  supplier that they will taste more like ham instead of ribs.  I checked the package after and found out that they were enhanced.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: orion39 on August 23, 2012, 09:24:10 PM
Very nice presentation. I will share my experience with ribs in my pellet smoker.  I purchased some Baby Back Ribs that were made by Tyson. I smoked them for about 3 hours, then in foil for 2 and supposed to finish them off for another hour but they were already finished.  Well anyhow i thought i was eating ham and not ribs.  I put a dry rub on them for 3 hours prior to the smoking.  There seems to be many different opinions on how long to leave the dry rub on.  So reviewing the different forums, i found out that if the ribs are enhanced (pre-brined) by the  supplier that they will taste more like ham instead of ribs.  I checked the package after and found out that they were enhanced.

Yeah! Enhanced ribs are the worst. You will see many references to enhanced meat on this forum also. I also find that putting the rub on ribs over night I get that same hammy taste; but 3 hours is good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Alanfromwis

Tenpoint5
  Thank you for your very goog presentation on preparing & smoking ribs. Will refer to this on next batch of ribs.
alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

seb bot

Just wanted to add my thanks as well 10.5!!!

Made ribs today, for the first time ever, and only the second time I have used my smoker!
( Bought it Thursday, seasoned it and did some almonds Friday night, Ribs for Sunday dinner!)

The pictorial was super helpful, found it on susanminor first, then found the thread here with all the extra info and feedback.
Even the feedback from the other noobs was helpful because it made me think, " Maybe it really could be that easy!" ;D

Was originally going to get side ribs and do the simple 3-2-1, but my local butcher had back ribs instead... Found some tips about backs being more of a 3-1-1 or 2-2-1, so I decided to do my own little count to average out all the good advice; Did about 2:20 smoke (hickory), 1:40 covered, then about an hour with the sauce.
Put the rub on early in the morning, made sure to pre-heat lots, put boiling water in the bowl, let the smoke really get going before adding meat, then forgot to start the timer for the sauce stage right away, so ended up guessing a little at the end... ::)

Used Jan's rub and vipers sauce ( from here ) and the ribs turned out fantastic! Not quite sure if I can say they were the BEST I've ever eaten, but if not, they were pretty damm close, certainly as good as the last few times I've been out to the restaurant!
To go alongside the meat, I made some cole slaw ( devo's recipe from here), and some twice baked potatoes that I don't quite know who I borrowed the recipe from (food network site somewhere, don't even know how I stumbled onto to it, lol) and I can for sure say it was the best overall meal I have ever prepared!

Was a great confidence builder, hoping to try a whole chicken next weekend, will need to do some more reading and searching.

Tenpoint5

That's what the thread was designed to do. Just give you a starting point, so you can ribs YOURS! Glad it worked for you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seb bot

Going to be doing some BB ribs again this weekend, got a couple of quick questions that I thought I would ask here rather than starting another new thread.

1) Last time I made them, I only did a couple of racks but this time I will be doing 6 or 8; I am wondering if/how much longer I should plan on for cooking time and what stage I should extend?
I think smoke time should be the same, wondering if I should boat them for a little longer as I am expecting the smoker will take a little longer to get back up to temp etc with the bigger load, will take longer to flip racks around etc... Also it's a little colder now too!
I know there is not be an exact/correct answer for above, just looking for a bit of a guideline. I am kind of thinking maybe an extra hour or so in the foil??? ( and make sure to really preheat smoker!)

2) If I do 8 racks, I may try to plan on having a rack or two for later- Should I stop cooking the "leftover" racks when they have done their time in the foil and then sauce them later when re-heating? ( Maybe on the gas grill, or as we Canadians mistakenly call it, the "BBQ" :P)
Not sure what would give best results, or if ribs are cooked enough at that point (after their time in foil) to go safely back in the fridge for next day...

Thanks in advance, Sebastian

GusRobin

when I do baby backs I do a 3-1.5- 1.5. I would extend the the foil time. When I have extras. I just heat them up in the crock pot.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Grouperman941

Quote from: seb bot on October 23, 2012, 09:49:08 PM
Going to be doing some BB ribs again this weekend, got a couple of quick questions that I thought I would ask here rather than starting another new thread.

1) Last time I made them, I only did a couple of racks but this time I will be doing 6 or 8; I am wondering if/how much longer I should plan on for cooking time and what stage I should extend?
I think smoke time should be the same, wondering if I should boat them for a little longer as I am expecting the smoker will take a little longer to get back up to temp etc with the bigger load, will take longer to flip racks around etc... Also it's a little colder now too!
I know there is not be an exact/correct answer for above, just looking for a bit of a guideline. I am kind of thinking maybe an extra hour or so in the foil??? ( and make sure to really preheat smoker!)

2) If I do 8 racks, I may try to plan on having a rack or two for later- Should I stop cooking the "leftover" racks when they have done their time in the foil and then sauce them later when re-heating? ( Maybe on the gas grill, or as we Canadians mistakenly call it, the "BBQ" :P)
Not sure what would give best results, or if ribs are cooked enough at that point (after their time in foil) to go safely back in the fridge for next day...

Thanks in advance, Sebastian

Not sure on #1, but on #2, I would cook the ones I'm not using until done without the sauce and reheat on the grill with sauce.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

jdhunt0

I'm getting ready for my 1st smoke and decided to do ribs.  I have a few people coming over and the butcher did not have enough baby back ribs so I bought some spare ribs as well.  What is the best way to go about cooking it all at the same time?

I'm thinking about just putting the baby back ribs in an hour after the spare ribs have started for a 3-2-1 for the spare and 2-2-1 for the baby back.

Any suggestions?