How To Make Ribs in a Bradley Pictorial

Started by Tenpoint5, May 17, 2009, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: radamo on April 30, 2011, 01:48:11 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 06, 2011, 04:50:25 PM
Depends on the ribs. just look for the meat to strat pulling back from the bone tips. 1/4 to 1/2 inch and they be done. could be 3/1/1 it all depends on the ribs

Just wanted to thank you formally for your tutorial.  The ribs I made a few weeks ago were spectacular... Hoping to try a chicken tomorrow.

RA

Your welcome. This thread is a culmination of knowledge from all of the folks on this forum. I just happened to be the guy who took pictures of the steps.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sanddancer

Great easy to follow tips with pics. I,ll have ago next week. Brisket the weekend ribs next. Only just got into this and Iv got the weekends planned already. Oh well as long as my golf don,t suffer.

salukijj

Nice one...  Once you turn the SMOKE off do you keep it off when you put the foil packets back ?  Do you keep the heat on at about 225 ?

OU812

Quote from: salukijj on May 17, 2011, 02:29:27 PM
Nice one...  Once you turn the SMOKE off do you keep it off when you put the foil packets back ?  Do you keep the heat on at about 225 ?

Yes, once the smoke is done the rest of the time in the smoker you are just cooking and yes keep it at 225 F.

sanddancer

I live in Dubai the middle east. We can get pork but it's not that good and its expensive. What about beef ribs.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: sanddancer on May 25, 2011, 06:11:50 AM
I live in Dubai the middle east. We can get pork but it's not that good and its expensive. What about beef ribs.

Hi Sanddancer,

I live in Jordan and although I have to admit that I have not done beef ribs but done the lamb in the same way and they turned out great.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Sanddancer;

Welcome to the forum.

Do a search on short rib, or long ribs, or dino ribs, or dinosaur bones to locate some recipes for beef ribs.

Here is a recipe by Olds; he cuts his own beef ribs from Prime rib, but ribs cut by the butcher will work, as long as they leave some meat on the bone. :)
Smoked Long-Short Ribs

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bozer

Made these ribs again this weekend. This time I did it this way.

Used Spare Ribs instead of baby back ribs.
Got the ribs from Whole Foods. Looked like much better ribs then what I always got at the regular supermarket.
Used a normal amount of rub. Every other time I was covering the racks with way too much rub. I applied a bit, rubbed it in, but didn't go too crazy.
3 hours of Hickory smoke in the Bradley with a brick wrapped in aluminum foil to maintain the heat. Stayed at a constant 225.
1 and a half hours wrapped in foil with apple cider beer and into my kitchen oven at 225, then sauced and back in my oven for an hour

Turned out to be the best ribs I've ever made. I've been trying over and over ever since I got my Bradley OBS 2 years ago. I have no finally mastered the art of ribs. Thanks again for this great recipe 10.5!

I used Butt Rub, then Dinosaur BBQ honey garlic sauce and Sweet Baby Rays on another rack.

Tenpoint5

Bozer glad to hear the technique worked out well for you.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Dooleyhart

I tip my hat , and Offer up a Big,,, Thank You... You did a very good job of explaining each step.. Again Thank You... ;D

jsampso

10.5  Thanks for the pictorial/tutorial. Having never done ribs before in my BDS I saw the link to this page and followed it. The ribs were perfect. Thanks for sharing. I also checked out another topic about FTC and finished my pork with that. It pulled real easy. Thanks guys.

macsfire

I have a question about smoking ribs. If you are smoking 2 or3 rack's of ribs and you have them on different shelves's bottom rack will cook faster than the other two. If you are using the 3-1-1 method. how long to you cook the top two rack's before you put them in foil and how much longer do you leave them in foil.  Is there IT temp the rib's should be at when you put them in the foil.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: macsfire on July 24, 2011, 06:33:00 PM
I have a question about smoking ribs. If you are smoking 2 or3 rack's of ribs and you have them on different shelves's bottom rack will cook faster than the other two. If you are using the 3-1-1 method. how long to you cook the top two rack's before you put them in foil and how much longer do you leave them in foil.  Is there IT temp the rib's should be at when you put them in the foil.

Rotate front to back and top to bottom every hour. This wont affect the 3 hours of smoke but you may want to add 30 minutes to the second step in foil and then watch the ribs during the third stage. it may be 1 or it may turn out to be 2. You ware watching for the ribs to start pulling back from the rib tips. Also when you are rotating the racks pick one up if it feels right and the slab bends and you see the meat starting to tear and seperate. They are tender and they are most likely done

pumazjoe

New to the smoking community and had some questions about my first attempt at smoking some spare ribs.
Followed 10points rib tutorial - very nice by the way, straight and to the point - and came out with mediocre ribs just want to figure out what I should have done differently...
Put a rub on the ribs, vacuum sealed them Saturday. Planned on smokin them Sunday, but time wouldn't allow. Ended up starting them at noon Monday using Mesquite. smoked for 3 hours. Had to have the wife pull them out, add apple juice (a mix of Jack Daniels and AJ to one set) and place back in the smoker for 2 hours. After those two hours unwrapped and placed back in the OBS for the final hour - added sauce to one set. After those 6 hours they reached an internal temp of 170 but literally no meat pulled back from the bone. The IT of the smoker itself was fairly consistent over 210. Asked a buddy who has been smokin for about 7 years what his IT of the ribs get to and his response was he doesn't know, just looks for the meat pullback and the feel of them. Well I didn't have any meat pull back from the bone. So I am wondering if I did something wrong or what I could have done differently??? Any help out there would be appreciated. On the positive side my rub and sauce combo was pretty killer taste-wise.
Should have taken pics, sorry.

Rckcrwlr

First and Foremost, welcome to the forum, Joe.

Sounds like they may have needed to be kept in a little longer.  Your buddy is right with the feel and pull.  It is real hard to get an accurate IT from ribs.  With the little amount of meat and the closeness of the bones, you tend to get and exaggerated temp.  It's good to use as a "benchmark" but the ultimate confirmation is the pull off the bone.

I learned that the same way as you did.

Make sure you take pics next time.  We won't believe a word you say unless there are pictures to back up your claims.   ;D

John