Meat Tumbler

Started by jaeger, January 28, 2005, 05:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger

Here is a link to a Home user type Meat Tumbler
http://www.freethemeat.org/index.shtml

I came across this tumbler in a Sportsmans store in town. This would be a <font color="blue">great</font id="blue"> addition to anyones Smoking accesories. With this item you will use less cure/marinade, use less time curing/marinading and I guarantee you, your finished product will be much more juicy. You can make smoked poultry parts or whole birds, far superior to anything you would be inclined to soak in a brine. Forget about brining for one day, two days or a week. Tumble for anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours for a whole bird. Not only will it taste better, it will hold a beautiful smoke color.
   When you use a tumbler for curing a product, the product gets very tackie and it looks like it has a "film" on it. You do not want to rinse this off as it is the protein coming out off the meat and when the heat from your smoker hits it, it will actually act like a casing and seal in the moisture from the product while it cooks.

It is nice to see one available outside of the commercial level.

Has anyone else used a tumbler? What do you think?

Doug

capt.mike

I saw this at Cabelas last week. It was about the same price, I wonder how good they are. When I was there I found a 30lb. stuffer in the bargain cave for $150.00 (what a deal).Maybe the next time I go there I will see one of these on sale too.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I saw this back in November on the Grill Lover's site. I sent Reveo an e-mail asking if it would hold a 8 pound butt (pork shoulder) and would it accelerate brining. They answered back, that they did not know what a pork butt was and therefore could not answer that. Second, they did not know what brining is, so could not answer that question either. So I decided at that point, not to buy their product. If they are not going to bother to try to find answers to a customer's questions, that gives you an hint of there commitment is to their customers.

Will it hold a butt, and if so how large.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

According to page 9 here http://www.freethemeat.org/pdf/ReveoInstructionBook.pdf it's 5 pounds max. Looking at a previous picture next to an outlet box, I figure no way a butt's goin' in unless it's Piglet.

Great idea & I agree with the principle, but when I smoke, it's usually more than 5 pounds. All the rest is "free".[:p]

Maybe they'll come out with a magnum model.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hell just use you vacuum sealer put your boston butt in a vacuum bag with your some maranade , and throw it in the dryer on cool mode let it tumble for 20 min. BAM just saved you $200. [:D]

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

jaeger

Great idea Smokehouse Rob!!!

You could probably get at least 100 pounds in at least.

I suppose it's a safe bet to wait until the little lady has retired for the night.[:D][:)][:D]

Doug

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to add to my post that their site stated they were coming out with another model. My questions were toward the newer model that they were going to release.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jaeger

Chez- Great link for info on instruction manual!!!

Habanero- Very interesting re: new model....hopefully a magnum [;)]
     also... I have used a 100 pound tumbler and it will accelerate brining time. Example: I would cure 100 pounds of bellies at a time using approximatly 2 pounds of cure with a gallon of water.(This is an estimate). If the bellies were large I would put them in the cooler for one day or two at the most after tumbling just to give the cure extra time for the thicker bellies. If they were not thick bellies I would put them directly from the tumbler into the Smokehouse. Whenever I tumbled poultry it went directly into the smokehouse. On large turkeys or butts I would pump with some of the cure mixture to ensure distribution of the cure.

also Habanero- I would not be impressed either with their lack of knowledge regarding brining. This machine in their perspective is geared towards marinading meat. I'm sure it does a wonderful job of this at that. We would marinade steaks, boneless chicken breast, turkey tenderloins with everything from cajun, lemon pepper, butter garlic, bbq, mesquite, teriyaki etc... we made some nice kabobs out of any variety of these cuts of meat.
  We would put any variety of these meats and marinades in seperate vacuum pouches and could tumble all kinds of different combinations at the same time and the beauty of it was the tumbler was basically still clean afterwards. Believe me, we had the most impressive meat counter and variety.

One last word ... If anyone is interested I can make a phone call and get specific weights and measures of cure and water amounts for beef, pork and poultry. The salesman that sold us the tumbler is still in the business, very knowledgeable and would share any information that I request regarding this.[:D][:)][8D]

Doug

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
 One last word ... If anyone is interested I can make a phone call and get specific weights and measures of cure and water amounts for beef, pork and poultry. The salesman that sold us the tumbler is still in the business, very knowledgeable and would share any information that I request regarding this.[:D][:)][8D]

Doug
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If it is not too much of a problem, I would be interested in seeing that information posted.

The information on newer models was on their website somewheres. They are suppose to release different models and colors some time this year.

It was not their lack of knowledge that got me irritated. What irritated me more was their lack of doing a little research to provide me with an answer other than "I don't know".

I
         don't
                   inhale.

nsxbill

I sent them an email asking if they offer group purchase at reduced price, availability of refurbished items, and information about stainless models.  

Offered to buy one to review it...  I have a myriad of vacuum jars that I now use for rub and coffee that have a little hand pump to extract air, and it would seem an easy proposition to use those types of jars on a rotating base like this one if one wanted to do smaller batches with marinade.  I will let all know if they get back to me.

Looks like my kind of toy, but might wait until stainless available.  Don't think the wife would appreciate me using the dryer with bags sealed or not! [:D]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

gotbbq

The revo is almost the same as sealing meat in food saver vacuum bags.  They create a vacuum and marinate the meat quickly.  The food saver is a great multi-task tool.  After smoking, foods can be sealed for freezing for long periods of time.  Bags are reusable as well.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I saw this back in November on the Grill Lover's site. I sent Reveo an e-mail asking if it would hold a 8 pound butt (pork shoulder) and would it accelerate brining. They answered back, that they did not know what a pork butt was and therefore could not answer that. Second, they did not know what brining is, so could not answer that question either. So I decided at that point, not to buy their product. If they are not going to bother to try to find answers to a customer's questions, that gives you an hint of there commitment is to their customers.

Will it hold a butt, and if so how large.

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">gotbbq Posted -  After smoking, foods can be sealed for freezing for long periods of time. Bags are reusable as well.

I've recently re-used some Foodsaver bags and have noticed that they will not reseal as well as they did when they were new. Anyone else have this happen?

Cold Smoke

Habanero Smoker

There are a few brands out there now so I should mention I use a FoodSaver. The only times that I reseal a bag is when I vacuum sealed cheese, remove some and then reseal the bag. Other than that I usually vacuum seal in amounts that will last one to two meals, I never reuse bags. The bags are inexpensive, and I'm too lazy to wash them.

The only times I have difficulty getting a good seal is when I get oil or fat inside the bag, around the area that is to be sealed. A quick whipe with a paper towel and I'm good to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gotbbq

Cold Smoke

It happens to me every once in a while.  Do you dishwash your bags.  I think, although not sure, that after many washings the bags lose their ability to hold a seal.  Some I wash by hand, seem ok to reuse, others to the trash.  Good side- can marinate 2 whole racks of spare ribs at a time.  Anyone interested in me finding out about a discount price for the bbq guru, either the raptor (controls the bs) or the wireless competetor?  This could be a great thing

Gotbbq[^][^][^]  

quote]<i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">gotbbq Posted -  After smoking, foods can be sealed for freezing for long periods of time. Bags are reusable as well.

I've recently re-used some Foodsaver bags and have noticed that they will not reseal as well as they did when they were new. Anyone else have this happen?

Cold Smoke
[/quote]

gotbbq