Meat Tumbler

Started by jaeger, January 28, 2005, 05:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gotbbq</i>
<br />
thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Arial"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">It has been my experience that the inside edges must be really clean of oils and other debris or it will not seal.  Also if you have a wrinkle in the edge that is to be sealed it will not seal.  Food Saver makes several sizes of Vacumm dishes.  I marinate steaks, chops, etc in this.  Just put meat in, add marinade and Vacumm.  4 hours of this is equal to an overnight marinade.

Don</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

Cold Smoke

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I have a  Foodsaver unit and have been handwashing the ones that are "gently used". I thought that I read somewhere that the bags were reusable- I guess some are and some aren't. Not a big deal...

Bauce Sauce- I've not yet marinated using this unit. Just wondering...seeing that this thing could suck a golf ball through a garden hose the length of a football field~~~ how do you seal after adding your marinade?? I am planning on doing a shrimp recipe tomorrow -see below -

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SmokinMoe

Well,
I had mucho family over this past weekend, and I believe the "non-cooking" curse my husband bestowed on me early in marriage in now a defunct myth!!
I smoked some bacon over the top of shrimp. I used the S&S recipe for the lime jalenpeno shrimp and the one with the just olive oil, lemon juice and your fave rub.
Good grief, I felt sorry for the ones who showed up last! My six year old led the pack and she could not understand why she couldn't just load up her plate!!
It was so good, that I just could not believe it!!

Perhaps this would be a great way to reduce marinating time.

gotbbq

Cold Smoke-

There are special foodsaver containers for marinating,  I also put the meat in the vac bag in a baking dish with the sealing area over the top of the dish.  It creates a vacuum and the meat and marinade stay put.

gotbbq

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Bauce Sauce- I've not yet marinated using this unit. Just wondering...seeing that this thing could suck a golf ball through a garden hose the length of a football field~~~ how do you seal after adding your marinade?? I am planning on doing a shrimp recipe tomorrow <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Arial"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">Cold Smoke,

I think GotBBQ answred your question concerning marinating with the FoodSaver but here is my 2 cents worth.  I use a special marinating dish made by food saver.  It is a 2 1/2 quart dish that prevents the liquid from being sucked into the vacumm motor.  It is great for steaks, vegetables, chicken parts and many other things.  Here is a picture of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005OTXS/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/103-7884640-3335831?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=284507

You can find it fairly cheap on Amazon.com at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005OTXS/103-7884640-3335831

I bet shrimp would be great marinated in this.  Supposedly 4 hours in this marinator is equal to an overnight marinade.

Hope this helps.  Post your recipe for marinated shrimp!  I love shrimp just about any way you can fix 'em....

Don</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gotbbq</i>
<br />The revo is almost the same as sealing meat in food saver vacuum bags.  They create a vacuum and marinate the meat quickly.  The food saver is a great multi-task tool.  After smoking, foods can be sealed for freezing for long periods of time.  Bags are reusable as well.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No, there's a big difference in the fact that the bags create a vacuum, but do not allow for expansion of the meat. When the meat is in a solid continer with space around it, the vacuum allows the breakdown of connective tissues & an accelerated flavor absorbtion. Under vacuum, you will see your piece of meat virtually double in size and when vacuum is released, suck most of the marinade into itself as it returns to normal.

The bags are great for freezing, and I almost always put the marinade in before sealing them so they marinate as they defrost, but they can't compare to the efficiency of a hard-sided container.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

gotbbq

Chez,

When i do meat, i marinate it in foodsaver container larger than the meat.  It provides room for expansion, although the meat never expands to twice its size.

gotbbq

Chez Bubba

If you're using the Food Saver to create the vacuum, I believe it has a  cutoff to limit the (insert the technically correct word for psi as it applies to a vacuum). I have a setup that uses a hand pump, so I'm guessing I am able to create more (same word) than the Food Saver.

Maybe that's why we have had different experiences?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefBill

Kirk,
I agree, I wish I could find a container that was about 2 gal. size that I could draw a good vacuum on. Then I could vacuum marinade a whole Butt or Brisket in it..[^] It wouldn't take much more marinade or More Rub than normal, All that is needed is to coat the meat and when the vacuum is released then meat will suck it inside anyway. [:)]
PLUS: If the meat was on a rack when the vacuum was released, the liquid that had been drawn out of the meat during vacuuming would not be drawn back into it. This would add to the drying process...  Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />Kirk,
I agree, I wish I could find a container that was about 2 gal. size that I could draw a good vacuum on. Then I could vacuum marinade a whole Butt or Brisket in it..[^] It wouldn't take much more marinade or More Rub than normal, All that is needed is to coat the meat and when the vacuum is released then meat will suck it inside anyway. [:)]
PLUS: If the meat was on a rack when the vacuum was released, the liquid that had been drawn out of the meat during vacuuming would not be drawn back into it. This would add to the drying process...  Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
cheifbill this might be what you are looking for, i have a few of theses a butt will fit click here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63510&item=4361828723&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW scroll down and look at the dem.

RhinoDoc

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">a 2 1/2 quart dish that prevents the liquid from being sucked into the vacumm motor

This is a great idea. When I got my Foodsaver for Christmas (first mother-in-law gift I will ever get some use out of) it came with a canister for storage, but I hadn't thought about using it for marinade. It isn't square and flat like the image posted, but more like a Tupperware container. I see some marinading happening this weekend!

Pete

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sauce Bauce Posted -

Cold Smoke,

I think GotBBQ answred your question concerning marinating with the FoodSaver but here is my 2 cents worth. I use a special marinating dish made by food saver. It is a 2 1/2 quart dish that prevents the liquid from being sucked into the vacumm motor. It is great for steaks, vegetables, chicken parts and many other things. Here is a picture of it.

Thanks, mate!. I dug around inside the Foodsaver box - had kept it- and found three containers that the unit came with. Geez- totally forgot that they came with these. It's not the same flat, square one that you mention but I'm sure they'll do the trick. It's kinda like finding that final present under the Christmas tree ... and it has your name on it.[:D][:)][:p]

Cold Smoke

msolvie

Sorry, a vac bag won't do what a tumbler does; a drier might, but I doubt it. I invented the Microtumbler for my butcher after he asked me to make a machine affordable to sportsmen and home processors (like you guys).  If vac bags were the trick, I would think every professional meat processor would be using them instead of spending thousands of dollars on vac-tumblers.

The tumbling massages the meat, brakes down connecting tissues.  The vacuum opens the pores of the meat, allowing brine or marinade to enter (there is a difference between brine and marinade, one is an acid the other a salt).  It is easy to pickup 25% marinade in pork, chicken, or beef in 30 minutes or less. We can only handle 5 lbs though.   For that pork butt, you need a bigger tumbler.  I have developed an MT15 (which is 15 lbs), that would do nicely for you, all stainless steel, NSF, and sorry I am making it in China...but the price is good and the quality is excellent.  Revo is a patent infringer, that's why they didn't know anything about pork butt or any other kind of tumbling.

Microtumbler, the Original Counter Top Tumbler.

BigSmoker

msolvie,
Welcome to the forum.  How did you find us?  Can you tell us a bit more about your tumblers?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

The other day on "Food Finds" there was a guy up in the Northeast that after he dried cured his hams he then put them in a large tumbler with Molases, I beleive, along with some other good stuff then he tumble them and then smoked.  He said it was s food grade tumbler.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...