Smoked Chicken major disappointment!!

Started by ExpatCanadian, May 20, 2009, 09:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

.....but NOT for the reasons one might expect!

I started my project yesterday evening....  mixed up MWS's simple poultry brine from the recipe site, brined for around 3.5 hours....  removed, rinsed, paper towel dried then rubbed with EVOO and applied Jim's award winning brisket and poultry rub, again from the recipe site....  worked it in under the skin on the breast, thighs and back.  Popped it into a Ziploc bag and into the fridge to rest until today's smoke.

So...  now the photos start:

The bird in it's bag ready to be impaled on my beer can chicken stand (which happens to be it's maiden voyage...  brand spankin' new!)

Ready for smoke....  an hour or so of Alder planned.  First time I've used Alder, quite excited to try it after reading jeff_smoke's topic

But wait...  WTF!!!  ??? ??? ??? No heat from the main heating element (smoke gen. element is smokin' hot!!)  In case the photo isn't clear enough...  the temp is set to 320...  the thermostat says 83!!!

Ok...  I'm cool... NOT PANICKING!!! I've read the numerous threads on here about this very thing...  simply check all connections, unplug & replug etc. and everything will magically be ok again. NOT!!!!  Still no heat!  But, I'm an IT geek by trade... or to put it more professionally, an IT Consultant in the legal industry.  I figure like any good bit of digital technology it simply needs a proper reboot...  how does one reboot a digital Bradley?  Sh1t knows, but I figured unplugging it from the power should do it....  waited a few minutes, plugged it all back in.... still nothing.

Oh dear...  panicking now.  Got the electrical tester and screwdriver out.  Juice to everything....  including the element.  Took it apart to make sure the connections were sound, one was a tad bit loose, but tightening it didn't help. I'm grasping at straws by this point.

So...  after one more very disheartened check of all connections, I've had to give up.  I briefly contemplated doing a 1 hour cold smoke, then transferring to the oven, but I had already brought the bird to room temperature and I figured another hour in the "danger zone", especially with poultry, could very well end in tears.  So, I've decided to cook it sans smoke in the house oven and we'll just have to see how it turns out...

Anyone got any bright ideas?  It seems strange to me that I've got current flowing through the element itself (I have a simple induction type tester), but not heat being produced.

Anyway, I'll get onto Bradley's UK importer whom I bought it from and see what the warranty procedures are over here....  and I'll let you all know how a brined and rubbed chicken cooks up without any smoke at all!

KyNola

TD,
When you unplugged/plugged everything back in, did you push them in extra hard?  Sometimes they just don't seat correctly without it.  Also, did you do the same with the sensor connector cord, including reversing the ends?  I'm no IT geek at all.  Did you carefully touch the heating element to feel for heat?That is the sum of my knowledge.  Did notice one thing I wanted to ask you about.  You said that the smoke gen element was very hot.  Yet in the photo of your digital display, it appears the smoke gen is not turned on.  Had you turned it off prior to making the pic?

BTW, your chicken will turn out just fine in the oven.  I have cooked it many times just like you're doing, just no smokey taste.

KyNola

ExpatCanadian

Hi Kynola...  yes to all of the above.... reversed ends, pushed VERY hard... did it multiple times to make extra sure, the works.  I most certainly did physically lay hands on the element and clicked my heels 3 times together and held my tongue in just to right way WILLING the heat to flow, but sadly, no joy!

The photo you're referring to was actually taken about halfway through my troubleshooting process, which is why at that point the smoke gen element is off, and I had actually raised the temp all the way to the top in another attempt to kick it in to gear (I wouldn't have normally preheated that high).

The chicken is actually now out of the oven, and in FTC bliss awaiting my wife's return.  It smells amazing, and I am no longer worried that tonights dinner is ruined.

KyNola

Dinner is definitely not ruined and I'm sorry I can't be of any help to you with your troubles. My electrical expertise is limited to something like this: "Did it come on?  It didn't?  S.O.B.!!!"

Some of our electrical gurus will come along and give you assistance.  In the mean time, enjoy your chicken tonight.

KyNola

ExpatCanadian

Dinner was amazing, thanks!  Anyway, have e-mailed the UK Bradley importer I bought mine from, so hopefully will get it sorted, and be back in action soon.

manxman

QuoteI'll get onto Bradley's UK importer whom I bought it from and see what the warranty procedures are over here

I had a couple of smoke generator problems when mine was still under warranty, the service back up was brilliant and I got the generator replaced twice with a quick no quibble service. Sure they will sort you out quickly tdc.  :)
Manxman

ExpatCanadian

Brilliant doesn't even begin to describe it.  I e-mailed last night and I've had a reply first thing this morning stating they are putting a new heating element in the post today, which should arrive tomorrow!  How good is that??  :)

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi TDC

From what you describe about getting voltage through the heat element, I would check your in-line fuse.
It is located behind the back cover of the tower and it is a red wire  part of that wire is covered by a clear plastic tube inside that tube is a small white ceramic thing that is the fuse
it is a one time use fuse. Check it for continuity across it .

Brian

ExpatCanadian

Will do, thanks...  my current simple tester only measures if there is power flowing through a given cable/switch etc., I just hold it near whatever I'm testing and it beeps if it's live.  BUT, I've been looking for an excuse to purchase a proper multimeter....  so I'm off to do that now!

If it does turn out to be the fuse and not the element, I'll return the element that is being sent to me by your UK importers!

Is it a fairly standard item that I am likely to be able to find locally?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi TDC

No the in-line fuse is not an item you are going to find locally your UK importer should have them
if not you can temporally remove the fuse and join the wires together to get you up and running
Here is a picture of what the fuse looks like

Brian

ExpatCanadian

Excellent, thanks Brian.  Just got back with my new multimeter....  and will report back this evening.  I assume you are in BC?  It's the wee hours of the morning there, what you doing posting!!?  Now that's customer service!!

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on May 21, 2009, 04:10:29 AM
From what you describe about getting voltage through the heat element, I would check your in-line fuse.

Hi Brian, Checked the fuse last night, it was fine...  but the postman dropped the replacement element through my door about 10 minutes ago and I've now installed it and it's all working fine again!

Thanks for your help...  and you should definitely know your UK people are top notch.  Customer service isn't always that great in this country, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with them....

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi TDC

Glad to hear your back up and running

Brian