DBS s/t/b here 5-28-09

Started by okiesmoke, May 21, 2009, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okiesmoke

Greetings!  First time I've ever been in a forum so bear with me. Took me a while to figure out how to even post so that tells you my computer skills.  That aside, I'm hoping to improve my
"SMOKIN" skills. Had a Brinkman bullet that I finally bolted on top of my turkey fryer because I could never keep the heat constant but that didn't work too well either!  Should get my DBS next week.  What should I try first so the wife doesn't think I wasted more money?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum okiesmoke!

I would try a Pork shoulder (Boston butt) ((Pork butt)) .

Put your favorite rub on it, give it 2-3 hours of smoke @ 225F and cook to an internal IT of 190F.

I would FTC it for a couple of hours, then pull, sauce if you need to, and enjoy.

what is FTC ? the answer to this and many other questions is available here - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome Okie!

My learned friend FLBR has given you a good start.  You may also consider trying the chicken breast roll ups on the recipe site.  They are easy and delicious.  With poultry, have your vent open 100% of the time to let the moisture out so it doesn't condensate and run down your smoker walls and also knock your heat down.  Poultry has lots of moisture.

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem to you.  Believe me, they're not silly and we have already probably asked them ourselves.

Web address for the recipe site is www.susanminor.org

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard OkieSmoke!! Looks like the Boys have you pointed in the right direction. Pulled Pork would be my suggestion.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

okiesmoke

Thanks folks.  Great websites.  Got a lot of reading to do.  By the way, what is the purpose of bubbapucks?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: okiesmoke on May 21, 2009, 12:56:35 PM
Thanks folks.  Great websites.  Got a lot of reading to do.  By the way, what is the purpose of bubbapucks?

Welcome to the forum. Pulled pork would have been my suggestion too, very forgiving andeasy to finish in the oven if ya have to. Just remember use only 4 to 6 wood pucks and you will have a nice butt  ;D

Bubbapucks are just pushers to push all the wood pucks thru the slide and into the pan. Made of aluminum. The pusher will only push the wood so far. Like 6 wood pucks and 3-4 bubbas on top in the tube.

nepas

okiesmoke

Why is that better than just adding two extra pucks?  Do they partially burn up?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: okiesmoke on May 21, 2009, 01:04:32 PM
Why is that better than just adding two extra pucks?  Do they partially burn up?

You can add a few extra pucks with no harm. The pucks on the end b4 going into the pan are the ones that will smoke. The ones closer to the generator will not burn until they are pushed closer to the end. Allot of members add extra.

nepas

OU812

Welcome to the fun

As far as the bubbapucks you will need at least two but three works better.

The purpose is to push off the last bisket so it don't sit on the burner and continue to burn, if it does it will turn into ash. IMO When that happens you can get an off taste (almost a bitter taste) on easy smoked stuff like chicken and fish. I have also had the ash blow up on my stuff one time when i opened the door to rotate, that's when I got the bubbapucks.(got them from Cheese)

Also the bisket next to the burner will start to burn on the leading edge, that's why you need at least two with a bisket as the third. One on the burner two on the runway.

Pulled Pork would have been my suggestion also. Just be prepared for a long cook time, like 12 hr or more at 220 F. That's cook time not smoke time, for this kind of smoker it only takes between 3 to 4 hr smoke. The rest is cooking with the generator shut off.

I have the propane bullet but don't use it much anymore, same concept different heat source.

smokeitall

The pulled pork (pork butt) is a long smoke but well worth the wait and a very easy first time smoke.  If you want something a little quicker you could try some shroom bombs.  I don't think they are on the recipe site but here is a link from the big easy forum http://www.sizzleonthegrill.com/blog/?p=4440

Before I had a big easy I would just finish them off in the oven after 60 minutes of smoke just to crisp the bacon up a little bit.  My favorite this week is pork sausage seasoned with Jan's rub, small piece of fresh garlic, a jalepeno, all stuffed into a cap and wrapped with bacon.  Very easy to do.  You can do a search on here for some other variations that have been made.

Oh and welcome to the forum.