Smoked Turkey Breast - First Time

Started by smokin_up_north, April 15, 2009, 06:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin_up_north

Hi Everyone,

I've read a lot of posts here and have some great idea's... maybe a few too many on meats that I want to smoke.  This weekend I've decided to do 2 smoked turkey breasts, bone & skin on.  I've actually tried them once before, but unfortunately I massacred them (rushed for time and tried to "up" the temperature   :'(   ).

What I'm thinking of doing this time is to brine them for 12-24 hours.  I'll do the brine whenever I can get a chance on Friday, then I'll start smoking on Saturday.  After the brine, I'll rinse off the breasts, season them a bit with whatever I can find around (under the skin if I can).  The brine I used last time was Salt, Brown Sugar, Water, Apple Juice.  I found it "browned" the meat from the brown sugar.  Is this just a surface color and doesn't discolor the entire breast?

I'm going to smoke at about 200 on my digital bradley, and I think it will take approx 4 hours.  I just want to confirm the internal temp I should be aiming for.  I've seen some as low as 152, but that seems a bit low for me (can't afford any food poisoning as I'm going to Punta Cana next week!   ;D   ).  I'm wondering if those lower temps were when it was the "processed" whole boneless turkey breast?  Should I aim for 160-165 then FTC for 15 minutes?

Also, anyone have suggestions on preferred wood?  I personally love smoke, but I've got 2 "smoke virgins" coming over this weekend so I don't want to kill them with too much smoke.  I've had great success on smoked salmon with Maple and Apple mixture of wood.  I have Maple, some apple (couple of hours max), and hickory pucks available to use.

Hopefully it's not too confusing to read through my babble!  I'm hoping you "guys" can all help set my mind at ease!

Mr Walleye

I haven't done turkey breast but here is really nice lookin' recipe from the recipe site that I know a number of people have done. It looks like an IT of 160 or 165 is what most shoot for. Most poultry takes smoke fairly well so if you have some smoke virgins I would probably not go over 2 hours and the apple would be my choice.

http://susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=687#post687

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Mike has you pointed in the right direction. I would go with Apple as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokin_up_north

I've seen that recipe as well, it looks delicious, but it looks like a "processed" turkey breast.  My turkey breasts are about 3lbs each, still on the bone and still in the same shape as they would be on a whole bird.  This is where I'm concerned about the IT and what I should aim for...

Tenpoint5

they used a processed turkey breast but everything will work just fine on yours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

I do turkey breast bone in skin on almost every month (daughter loves poultry)
along with chicken. I cook till 160 F tent for 30 min. peal off skin (unless you like rubber) slice and enjoy. Be easy on your salt in the brine, most turkey you buy in the store is pumped with up to 15% of its green weight (raw weight) with a saline solution (salt water) to keep it moist.
The turkey i buy in the store i dint brine because of the pump. Just turn up the heat to 250 F cook to 160 F that gets you over the danger point quickly.
I do pump my birds with about 8 oz butter and 2 Tab of my rub I'm going to rub the breast with. comes out juicy every time.
Hope this helps.
Oh ya i use 3 hr alder but 2 hr apple works also, poultry absorbs smoke easel.

josbocc

OU812,

Gonna be trying one of these soon (perhaps as early as tomorrow), and am wondering about how long it taked you to get to an IT of 160.  In other words, will I be able to start the smoke after work (3:30PM), and be able to finish at a reasonable hour?

Thanks for any input,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

OU812

josbocc

I would gess it might take around 5 hr.
It all depends on the size of load in the smoker.
When i do poultry its 2 turkey breasts and 2 chickens, i split the chickens in half take out the back bone and cut out the pin bone then split the breast.
they cook better that way. With that kind of a load it takes about 8 hr.
The only free time i have is on the weekends so i try to fill her up that way i can break into serving size pieces vacume seal and freeze for when ever we want smoked what ever.
Hope this helps

josbocc

OU812,

Helps a ton..., THANKS!!!

I'm only gonna do the one bird this time.  If it turns out well, then we'll see how long Price Chopper is running Turkey Breasts on sale for $.99 / pound.  Might have to check and see how many rolls of Foodsaver bags I've got too.  Not sure that Mama and I could devour 15 lbs. of Turkey Breast in a week.   ;D

Hope to post some pics!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

OU812

Jeff

Was wundern how those breasts turned out ?

This weekend (between ball games) I was going to try to smoke a turkey breast and four chickens, maybe eaven some Garlic Chicken sausage.

smokin_up_north

I've actually done Turkey Breasts twice now and both times they were amazing.   ;D

Bone on, skin on Turkey breasts.  I brine them for 16+ hours (apple juice, brown sugar, salt, water).  Make sure they are fully covered in the brine.  Remove from the brine, rinse off the breasts and pat dry.  I then pull the skin back (but not off), and season up the breast there.  Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and a lemon herb season that I have.  I used maple and apple the first time, and all apple the second time.  It's a light smoke flavour on it, but it worked out well for me as not everyone at the party is into strong smokey flavours.  Cooked at 200F for about 5-6 hours, wait for an internal of 160F, then remove from smoker, FTC for 20 minutes, remove from the bone and slice it up.

All of the juice from the breasts was nice and clear so no worries about the internal temp, and it was the juiciest piece of turkey I have ever eaten!  Everyone was a big fan, hero of the day. 8)

OU812

You gotta love it.

Now around Thanksgiving you are going to get request's to make some for the bud's.