Need suggestion for a laptop

Started by Oldman, May 10, 2009, 06:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I've never have had a laptop. (It cannot be an Apple.) So thought I would ask those here who own a laptop.

I have to have a laptop so I can go out in the field and use it with a microscope. What I need in a scope is linked below and it has more than enough power for my needs. Plus the price is cheap and a product care manager I know recommended it. (He has an earlier model.)

http://www.shopdigitalblue.com/product_inf...products_id=101

The problem I have is on a one year old carpet tile (the total job cost is right at 350K) and I need to show where the tufts are breaking off. I believe the nylon is brittle. This happening all over the carpet.

Suggestions for a laptop? It does not need to be the latest or greatest; however battery life is important.

Thanks!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Gizmo

Are you looking for a cheap laptop or a ruggedized laptop?
You can get some cheap laptops that are pretty good for 600 to 700 dollars.  But if you want one that is tuff, check out the Dell Ruggedized.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_xfr_d630?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I haven't purchase a laptop in over 4 year, and that one I purchase one from HP. Most laptops are reasonable in price, what you should look for is what the warranty is, and history of customer service. Unless Dell has done a major turn around, their customer service was rated fairly low, along with Gateway and HP. I came across an article that recently rated the customer service of the main laptop makers, I'll try to find it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I use Fujitsu Siemens and would thoroughly recommend them, bought an extended warranty on the latest and whilst I only had to use the warranty once for a faulty keypad the service was excellent and they even replaced the battery FOC at the same time. Battery life has been good on mine.

Obviously I am on the other side of the pond but Dell, HP, Fujitsu etc are multinational with presumably similar standards of reliability and service.

I have linked microscopes to desktops but never laptops so can't comment on ease of linking a microscope to a laptops?  :)
Manxman

Smokin Soon

For now the leader in laptop's that can take a beating is the Panisonic Toughbook It has taken over as the favorite of companys employing field techs with heavy travel. They are a bit pricey though. If your use for this is limited, one of the lower priced Dell's like the Vostro would suit you well.

Kummok

If it can't be a Mac, then you still won't have a real laptop, Olds.... ;) ;) :D

beefmann

I would recomend a HP or a Compaq, Also order the system restore disks when you order.

as for what i would recomend in the lap top is the most amount of ram, and if you are going to be storing a lot of data or pictures  a large hard drive. Built in wifi connection. ethernet connection ( though most of the newer ones do have them already ) and get the longest run time battery you can get.

Also a multi voltage lap top powersupply.. I have one that can be run at home.. and in the car... there is one that can be run in the home, car  and in an air plane as well ... both put out by targus

Hope this helps

Habanero Smoker

Just other thought you should give, is the monitor size and resolution. That would seem to be critical if you plan to study samples that are on the screen. Buy a copy of PC World they always have a section rating and comparison of the latest equipment by various manufacturers categories, and laptop are also listed. What is good about PC World is that that also give you a rating on customer service.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Being in Nashville, we are kinda partial to Dell.  Not sure I would go HP or Compaq.  I believe they both modify windows to run on their machine(at least in their desktops they do).  Which in and of itself is not much of a problem.  But when windows updates, it can really mess up your system and settings at times.  I have a Compaq desktop that I do not update it because everytime it does, it gets messed up,  Also with the modified windows, some machines get messed up with any autoupdate, esp. Real Player.   Back in the days when Compaq wasn't owned by HP and windows didn't get updated every couple of weeks, the compaq laptops were the cats meow.  Power machines that could eat through programs.  Having said all that, I've gotten a Mac the last two times, so can't really help on which to buy - but have heard good things about the Panasonic ruggedized ones - but more than kinda pricey! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

I have never owned anything but a HP / Compaq, and I use it every day.  I have never had a problem except when I dropped one from about 7 feet onto a hardwood floor.  The laptop still works fine but the screen has some vertical lines in it that make it difficult to read everything on a page.  But I have also heard great things about the Panasonic Toughbook.

Wildcat

Not much help on laptops but for desktops, I recommend having it custom made with non-proprietary components.  Dell, Packard Bell (aka Packard Hell), etc., are generally proprietary and require their parts and their version of the operating system when upgrading.  Been down that road before and never again.  One of my tenants currently has a 3 year old Dell that is worthless.  She has asked me to assist her in the new purchase.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/