trout smoking

Started by EsauAdams, January 29, 2005, 06:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EsauAdams

Hello, I'm looking for some good recipies for smoking trout(brown trout preferably).

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EsauAdams</i>
<br />Hello, I'm looking for some good recipies for smoking trout(brown trout preferably).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcom to the Forum Esau.  I think you'll find the folks here the friendliest around.  If you do a search for "trout" or "trout recipes" you will find lots of info on how to smoke trout.  We also have a member named Trout, so you should do a search for his postings on trout, too.

Let us know what you try and how you make out! [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

rraming

I new to the Bradley but here is what I did
Rainbow fillets about 16" in length skin on one side. Rinsed well and put in Brine over night about 10 hours (mixture - take any plastic food container and add water, add salt unitl an egg floats, remember how much salt you added and add half that amount with C&H light brown sugar)- Most information on the internet said smoke at 200-220 for 1-2 hours. I put four full racks in (nine fillets-9 lbs) and smoked with Pecan (most gourmet food selling trout use Pecan). I always use a "probe thermometer" when cooking - has wire to probe and digital read out unit outside smoker. Even if your smoker has a hard time getting temperature back up after adding fish don't panic (this happened to me when smoking salmon as well) Vnet 1/4 open and smoke 2 hours - you can check your therometer (you are shooting for 150 degrees) 3 hours total time for mine - perfect. Time obviously varies quite a bit depending on temperature of cooker - that is why you need a thermometer. I believe that the temperature of fish should be 150 degrees (read this from culinary cooks).
The same methods were used for salmon with the exception of heat. Everything I read said start at 100-120 and raise about every 1 1/2 hours no more that 20 degrees per hour finisheing Salmon off at 170 degrees - I did this with huge fillets skin off - only brined for seven hours - cook time was long - about nine hours to reach 150 degrees in fish - once agin perfect
I hope this helps someone out there - I posted this because when I was going to smoke my trout no one had specific info on trout fillets,which is what I had.

rraming

forgot to mention after brining dry fillets with paper towels and put on wire rack (with cookie sheet under then - not laid directly on cookie sheet they need to dry) put in refrigerator over night - add spices before putting them in frig (peppar,cajun,cayenne what ever you like) - do not cover fish with anything - meaning no plastic wrap - the next day they are ready for the smoker

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

EsauAdams wellcome to the forum[:)]

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

rraming welcome to the forum[:)] great info and tips for trout[;)] will have to try that out soon, i have a freezer full of trout, thank you

rraming

Thanks Somkehouse Rob for the welcome

I just finished smoking 9 lbs trout then about 10 lbs Salmon last weekend, turned out terrific once again [:p]

I am  going to reduce brine time on Salmon next time ( a little salty ) maybe just 5-6 hours in brine [8)]

http://www.midwestinteriors.com

BOUTCH

am from Québec and my english is not very well because i translate the french on english and probably you will have fun to read me[:I]

But me i smoke trout and all my friend love it[:p]

i hope i will be able to give you my recipe correctly.[^]
first the brine.
it is for 5 pounds of trouts... ok
in a plastic plate always not in metal never.
40 once cold water
1 cup coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar or sirup maple
4 once cognac not to cheap[;)]
4 once honny
1 lemon
1 onion
2 clove of garlic
cut garlic, onion,
mixing all well until salt is dissolve.
put trout in and place to fridge for 18 hours

after rinse just a little bit under cold water verry little bit
wipe it with scott towel and less dry 2 hours.

for smoking ... me i smoke with apple or cherry.
and i keep the température at 57 degree celcius not more.
for about 6 to 7 hours to depend tickness of trout
and texture you love it.
and finaly for the best resultat put the trout on fridge for 24 hours to lest the smoke and brine is finished.

hope you enjoy this recipe
and if possible if you try it let me know if you have
successful[8D]
[/quote]

Kummok

Dang, Boutch, if my French was even 1/4 of what your English is, I could probably understand the instructions that came with my inflatable raft AND order some good food at a French restaurant! ;)  Your recipe was better English and more understandable then many of our graduates from US public high schools! It also sounds gourmet tasty (cognac!  :))!!

Habanero Smoker

Well! After almost six months in storage, I will be digging my BS out. I hope to be smoking some freshly caught trout by on Tuesday, and will be using BOUTCH's recipe; though I may only brine for 5-8 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BOUTCH

Thanks Hummok
I am little embarrass with your compliment about my english ::)
but i am glad also to know my english is not too poor ;)
thanks again
and i hope you will enjoy the trout recipe ;D

BOUTCH

i HAVE FORGET SOME THING. :o :o :o

When i smoke the trout, i do not turn on oven
i use only the generator bisquettes. (150 watt burner) and always the temperature
go only at 57 to 60 degree  celcius it is better to smoke longgggg time than to rapidly. and it is why i smoke so long time but the resultat is great. :-* :-* :-*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for conservation about trout smoking.
if you want to conserve it, just put in vacuum pack(food saver)
and put on frezer and you can let it for 6 months.
this is for hot smoking.

me i prefer hot smoking

and my fillet trout are above 2 pounds each it is why i smoke  between 6 or 7 hours

because i love the fish more than undercooked (more fluffy)
i hope you know what i meand

i wish you nice smoking and great taste too

Habanero Smoker

I smoked 6 pounds of trout fillets, skin on, using Boutch's brine, and I can only say WOW!!!!!.  Thanks Botch. I'm glad you took the time to post your recipe. I see from another post that you are having some difficulty understanding what everyone is saying. I have that same problem ;D But seriously I am glad you are taking the time to improve you knowledge of English.

The only change I made was to use ½ cup of pickling salt (that all I had on hand) instead of the 1 cup of kosher salt, and because the fillets were only ½ inch thick I was going to brine for 6-8 hours. I wanted to add either Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper, I'm glad I didn't, but maybe next time.

As stated fillets were about ½ inch thick, so I decided to brine 6 to 8 hours. Although due to time constraints, I was only able to brine for 5.5 hours. After removing the fish from brine, I lightly rinse them in cold water, and pat dried with paper towels. I then place them on inverted racks and allow to air dry uncovered in the refrigerator until the pellicle is formed; when fish feel sticky to the touch (but you can air dry the fish by your preferred method). Then I followed the Bradley's smoking temperatures for hot smoke salmon. NOTE: I adjusted the times used during each stage. Starting at 110F, for the first hour; increase temperature to 140F for 1 hour; then finish at 175F, until the trout reach an internal temperature of 140F; which in this case took another 45 minutes. I check the fillets with an instant read thermometer 30 minutes after turning the temperature up to 175F and the trout were at around 123-127F.

I had some trouble keeping the BS under 110 for the first half hour; due to the sun shining directly on the cabinet, so I did wind up with some buggers. But using these temperature stages should prevent the buggers, helps keep the trout from drying out, but also extends the length of cooking time so that you can apply enough smoke to the fish. It was a slight salty for me, but everyone else wolfed the fish down. The flavors were fantastic. Oh! Almost forgot. I applied 2 hours of Apple smoke.

The next time I do salmon, I am going to use this brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Habanero that sounds dynomite. Glad it turned out for you. The only thing I can get now that I'm out of caught trout is farm raised. Do you think that would work? I refuse to buy farmed salmon but trout are a bit of a different story.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on April 12, 2006, 03:45:02 PM
Habanero that sounds dynomite. Glad it turned out for you. The only thing I can get now that I'm out of caught trout is farm raised. Do you think that would work? I refuse to buy farmed salmon but trout are a bit of a different story.
Farm raise will work fine. I usually smoke farm raised, but three weeks into the trout season I have been given a lot of fresh caught trout. One could argue that they are farmed raised also, because most of the trout that I have were stock in the streams by our State's conservation dept. I know several anglers who just catch and release, this year I approached a few and talked them into holding on to a few for me each time they fish. So far it's working out great.

As I stated in my earlier post, it was slightly salty to me, but I'm somewhat more sensitive to the taste of salt then most. The other people I shared the trout with, love it. Next time I may cut the brining time to 4 hours, but 5 - 5.5 hours may be the ideal time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.