Mods to puck advance timer...

Started by pnw-smoker, June 05, 2009, 01:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnw-smoker

Hi All...

I've read with great interest some of the cool mods that folks are doing to their Bradleys.  I especially like the additional heating element and circulating fan... very cool!  I'm wondering if anyone has tried modifying the smoke generator for a slightly longer puck advance time.  My pucks are often not completely burned, and it seems like changing the time between pucks from 20 minutes to about 30 minutes would do the trick.  This is probably a firmware modification, but burning a new chip shouldn't be that tough.  Anyone tried anything like this?  Thanks!

- Doug (pnw-smoker)

Habanero Smoker

pnw-smoker;

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't tried or heard of anyone doing a mod like this.

If you having problems with the bisquettes not fully burning; you may want to review this tip.
Bisquettes Not Completely Burning

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jha1223

I found that when I didn't properly pre-heat the smoking plate that the first one or two would not burn through.  Is that your issue or are you having issues with pucks in the middle of a batch not burning as well?  If you aren't preheating, just wait to load  your pucks.  Turn on the tower and the puck advancer when you are getting ready to smoke.  Then, when you are ready to put your product in the tower, load up the generator and advance until you get the first puck on the smoking plate.  

That took care of it for me :)

=========

Doh, Habs beat me to it :P
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

pnw-smoker

Thanks for the reply habs and jha... appreciate hearing your thoughts.

It's not a pre-heat problem.  As I posted in another thread (on incomplete burn) my first pucks actually burn better than the ones in the middle of the smoke.  I'm thinkin' it's more about tower temp and moisture content.  That's why I think we need a selectable puck-burn time.  So when you're smokin' salmon at cool temps and high moisture, you can cook the puck longer than if you're doing a rack of ribs at higher temp.  Surprised no one has tried that mod yet.

- pnw-smoker

Habanero Smoker

Not many are consistently having your problem. If you followed the tips in the link I posted, then I would call Bradley's tech support, there may be something wrong with burner plate.

One question, what is your vent opening. If your vent is too close and moisture build up, it my be absorbed by the bisquettes, making them too moist to burn completely.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pnw-smoker

Habs...  I usually run my vent 1/3 to 1/2 open... is that too little?  I've never seen any good guidance on how open or closed you should keep your vent while smokin'... what's your expert advice?  Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Vent openings vary, with weather and the type of food you are smoking. It just takes a little experience.

Here is a link to guidelines, that will help you get started.
Vent Opening

I
         don't
                   inhale.