Pucks not burning completely

Started by 12AMNSX, May 23, 2009, 10:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12AMNSX

I've had my OBS for about 1 1 /2 years now and have just recently noticed that my pucks are no longer burning all the way through.  The used pucks in the pan used to look black all the way through, but now they appear to have about 1/4 to 1/3 of the wood not burned at all.  Is there something wrong with the timer in the smoke generator?  Is there an adjustment that can be made?

3rensho

I've noticed the same problem but not consistently.  Have no idea about the cause.  I keep the puck burner clean but that does not seem to help. 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Toker

Hello, you could start by checking on the burner of your smoke generator to see if there is a kind of residue and if yes try to removing it or preheat it a bit longer that's what i did and it worked for me.

NePaSmoKer

Sometimes caused by excess moisture in the pucks, having your vent closed to far.

nepas

OU812

I've seen that the harder woods ( Hickory, Oak) dont burn as fast as the softer woods (Pecon, Apple)

canadiansmoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 23, 2009, 10:51:38 AM
Sometimes caused by excess moisture in the pucks, having your vent closed to far.

nepas

I have found that excess moisture on a few of the pucks can cause this as well.

Gizmo

I have seen the set temperature of the cabinet have an effect on how through the pucks burn.  Since the puck burner is set low enough make the wood smolder instead of flame and the cabinet temperature aids in that process, colder cabinet temperatures seem to leave more of the pucks unburned.  I have especially noticed this when cold smoking compared to hot smoking.  The hardness and moisture of the wood, as mentioned, has an effect as well.  I preheat for a minimum of 30 minutes (cabinet temperature to 260 deg) with the puck burner on.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I'm with giz on that one, I get the meat on the counter when I fire up the smoker but not the smoke gen. 30 minutes later the smoke gen goes on. I have the water bowl full from the beginning. Get the smoke rollin and make it happen. The bisquettes seem to fire off better in a cabinet that's up to temp.

Gizmo

SS, you might have misread my post.  I have the smoke gen and oven heater on right from the start. 

Smokin Soon

Giz, did you mean puck burner on with no pucks?

Gizmo

Absolutly yes, no pucks during the preheat, although I have been known to leave a bubba on the burner from the previous smoke.  When that happens, I always have to remember that they will be hot and cannot be picked up by bare fingers.   :o

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on May 26, 2009, 09:12:52 PM
Absolutly yes, no pucks during the preheat, although I have been known to leave a bubba on the burner from the previous smoke.  When that happens, I always have to remember that they will be hot and cannot be picked up by bare fingers.   :o

Yeah that kinda hurts huh Giz, I have done that too  :D

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 27, 2009, 04:11:03 AM
Quote from: Gizmo on May 26, 2009, 09:12:52 PM

Yeah that kinda hurts huh Giz, I have done that too  :D

nepas

I see I'm in good company :D

IKnowWood

Done that also, but only once (so far).  Now my pre-heat routine is turn switches on, load water, unload pucks.  The slight heat reminds me if the puck burner is on or not. 

As for a puck during re-heat.  I will load one on the burner as a pre-smoke waste, as typically the first 5 to 10 minutes of the 20 minute cycle usually gives no smoke, or if any, its not significantly enough.  I have however puck one on for 40 minutes, and that worked.  But that would mean more for-thought than I usually have when getting setup.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

3rensho

QuoteYeah that kinda hurts huh Giz, I have done that too

Done that too.  It does kinda smart.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.