Pucks not burning completely

Started by 12AMNSX, May 23, 2009, 10:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure if cleaning will improve performance, but it is an easy to remove the element. To remove the heating element you will need a #2 philip's screw driver and a small adjustable wrench or pliers. If you have a grill, then it sounds like you still have the quartz (glass element), and not the metal.

There are two screws on each side of the element that attached the shield and hold the element in place (while you remove parts, observe how they are put together). Remove all screws on both side, being careful not to loose the washers.

The shield will come off, and the front half of the porcelain holder will come off, and the grill will fall out; because it is held in place by the porcelain holder. Grab the element in the middle and carefully pull it out a few inches. You can clean it while it is still attache; or:

You can now remove the element. If you are going to remove the element, take your adjustable wrench or pliers and unscrew the nuts that attach the wires to the element. Note that the left end has two wires running to that connector.

To reassemble just reverse the steps, but when you reseat the element in the porcelain holder, maker sure the wires are pushed back through the wall and not crimped up. The porcelain holders will only line up one way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jeff_smoke

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 03, 2009, 03:01:32 PM
If you have a grill, then it sounds like you still have the quartz (glass element), and not the metal.

Habanero,
   I'm confused about your comment. My unit is about five months old. Why would I "still have the quartz (glass element)" ? Did I buy an outdated unit with some inferior heating element?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jeff

Habs is correct in how you disassemble the heat element for cleaning Just be very careful when putting the screws back in DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN Snug is all they need.

As for the Quartz tube your smoker would have to be real old to have one of them in it.
It was not an inferior element they just did not stand up to being moved around to much ( they were a glass tube)

Brian

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on June 03, 2009, 05:30:28 PM
Hi Jeff

Habs is correct in how you disassemble the heat element for cleaning Just be very careful when putting the screws back in DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN Snug is all they need.

As for the Quartz tube your smoker would have to be real old to have one of them in it.
It was not an inferior element they just did not stand up to being moved around to much ( they were a glass tube)

Brian
How old is real old?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Bradley (Head Office)

QuoteHow old is real old?

I don't remember the exact date we changed to the metal heat element but is was in 2004 or early 2005
So any smoker made in  2006 to present will have the metal one.

Brian

Up In Smoke

is there an easy way to tell the difference?
i purchased mine in early 05
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

jeff_smoke

That was going to be my next question too.
If I have some ancient unit that was sitting on a shelf for years, I'm guessing that there are other components which may have been upgraded or fixed since then.
To me, my element looks like a tube. Perhaps someone can post photos of both?

Habanero Smoker

The change had to have been in late 2004 or early 2005. I purchase mine in August of 2004 and I had the quartz element until I recently purchased an all metal one.

It is easy to tell the difference, the quartz element looks like a fluorescent bulb. The all metal is just a metal rod.

Jeff;

The reason I thought you still had the quartz element is because I thought Bradley stopped installing the protective grill when they started using the all metal element. There is no reason that I can think of to put the grill back on. When I replaced my quartz element with the metal one, I left the grill off.

I still have my quartz element, I'll post a picture this afternoon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jeff_smoke

Thanks Habanero,
    good morning....another early bird.
I have always thought my element was a bulb...that's what it looks like.
Can you give me some idea of what the diameter of the metal rod element is?
The element in my unit is maybe a 1/2" in diameter. I'd like to get the actual manufacturing date determined, so I'm guessing that the serial # will give that info. Where can I find that? I will have issues if I've purchased a four or five year old unit for the reason noted above...that other upgrades in addition to the inferior bulb could have been made since then.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jeff

The Metal & Glass heat elements are the same diameter, The glass tubes are white in color (when new) also when they are heated up you can see the heat coil inside it.
The metal rod just glows red

Habs is going to post a picture later

Your serial number should be on the back of your smoker tower, if it is not there anymore did you register your smoker?

Brian

jeff_smoke

Hi Brian,
    I definately registered the smoker. If the elements are the same diameter
then I would think it would be the metal one, although I always thought it was glass. It's black now, so hard to tell.
    But, if the metal one does not have a protective "grate" over it, then I guess it would be the glass one then. I'll try to clean some crud off and see. I'll also get my serial # which I assume I shouldn't post publicly?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jeff

We have never stopped putting the protective grate in the smokers so both metal and glass will have it
you can PM your serial number or your shipping info and i can have it looked up for you.

Brian

Habanero Smoker

Here is a photo of the older glass element. I thought it was quarts, but it is just a metal coil, encased in glass. The element in the photo is over 4.5 years old, and was still working well.

Sorry to confuse you, but as Brian stated they are both the same dimensions. I have already replace my glass element with the all metal one.

Brian;

Just curious. Is there any reason for the guard? I took mine off when I installed my new element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Habs

The guard is there to stop anything from directly touching  the heat element.

Gizmo

I thought it was also to direct heat upwards and to try to deflect it away from the water bowl to help prevent boil out of water and combustion of any liquid build up in the bowl.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/