pucks continually advance after about 20 Minutes

Started by Bammer, May 24, 2009, 12:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bammer

Just got my nice shiny new DBS today and decided to season it. All started up as expected but after about 20 minutes the unit started beeping non stop and started advancing pucks non stop. A power cycle did not stop the issue but when left for about 30 minutes I was able to reproduce the issue....all starts normal for one or two pucks then non stop beeping and non stop puck advance. Digital display flashes "E" when things go bad. My thought is it may be thermally related and am wondering if I will void warranty by opening the generator to check connections and microswitch and whatnot.
Silly me I went and sold my OBS this morning in a garage sale before I set the new one up and tested it :-(
Guess my ribs may have to go on hold until I can contact Customer SUpport.

Habanero Smoker

Brian (admin. for this forum) logs in regularly, and will help you out.

You will not void your warranty. Go ahead and open the generator; it does sound like a micro switch problem. Make sure that the wire is connected and that there are no wires or other object blocking it's movement.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Bammer

Habs is correct you will not void your warranty buy opening the generator up
You want to look for the micro switch inside and check the connection

Check these connections

Brian

Bammer

Thanks for the thoughts and the pics. Opened up the generator and connections were good but reconnected just for good measure. Armature was making good contact with switch and you could clearly hear the physical click on the micro switch each round and the switch seemed well anchored.
Ran the system with the cover open and all went well for about 60 minutes when again it went into error mode and started beeping and continuous operation of the motor. As I was watching to ensure that the switch was being contacted by the armature I again could hear the physical click. After it passed the switch a few times I decided to manually depress the switch a few times quickly and sure enough it stopped the motor dead in its tracks. I then pressed the manual feed and motor finished its cycle and stopped as expected. Was able to operate again for about 90 minutes until problem resurfaced.
Now I wonder if this indicates a microswitch issue or a logic issue. Any thoughts or experiences anyone.
This probably means a call into the toll free number during the week which is not a worry if the service is still as outstanding as it was when I bought my first OBS a few years back.

Bammer

Received a new micro switch yesterday from Bradley and now all is working as expected. Two butts and a Brisket Point are now cooking away gloriously.

Caneyscud

Congrats Bammer!  Let that smoke billow!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

garageguy

HI-
I just upgraded to the DBS from the original.  When the new DBS arrived, i delivered my original unit to my buddy.  I turned it on to smoke 10 pounds of wings for a party but had the same issue.  I get a flashing "E" when the smoke is turned on and the puck constantly advance.  NO wings for the party.
Please help!!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Garageguy.

This link will explain the cause and possible solution. If they don't work, contact Bradley, or Brian may be along to give more advice.

E Error

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Garageguy

Follow the link Habs provided and check the connection on your micro switch

Check out the picture below it shows you what to look for

Brian

garageguy

Hey Guys-
Took the smoke generator apart.  Nothing looked loose but dis-connected and reconnected all connections and she is working great now.  Wings are in the smoker.  Planning on 2 hours smoke, 3 hours total cook time at 200 deg.
Thanks for the quick responses!