I'm new too, and I respectfully request your permission as well

Started by YellowHammer, May 27, 2009, 08:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I've smoked a few butts in my time.....and I've also cooked some pork, too, from time to time.

I'm really looking forward to sharing some of my experiences and also trying some of your all's suggestions.

I got my first smoker just before Christmas and just couldn't wait for good weather to start.  I have smoked in the rain, snow, during the ice storm we had that came across the Ohio valley.  Boy did it make a mess of Kentucky.  But I'll take any and all suggestions.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be here with you!
"Never accept NO from anyone who doesn't have the authority to say YES".  (Eleanor Roosevelt)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum YellowHammer!

All are welcome here.

We look forward to hearing and seeing your smoked food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome aboard Yellow Hammer.  I'm in Kentucky too, far Western Kentucky.  Whereabouts are you located?

KyNola

Caneyscud

Welcome Yellowhammer.  The only people that I know that use the term Yellowhammer is Appalachian mountainfolk and Flyfishermen that fish the Applachian (Smoky Mountains especially) area.  The term for a certain woodpecker and the flies that use the feathers from the certain woodpecker.  Can't wait to share with you.  This is a great forum - jump in with both feet. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Welcome YellowHammer

Enjoy the forum, smoke long and prosper and post pics  ;D

nepas

YellowHammer

KyNola

Louisville.  Been here about 10 years.  Moved up here from Memphis, you know, where they know a little bit 'bout barbecue.   ;)
"Never accept NO from anyone who doesn't have the authority to say YES".  (Eleanor Roosevelt)

YellowHammer

Caneyscud

No, not eastern Kentucky.  I'm originally from Alabama and a HUGE Alabama football fan.  If you know anything about Alabama football, you'll know about YellowHammer.  I'm sure there's a Bradley Smoker Forum member that does.

And by-the-way, I do love to fish.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum, but gotta inform ya that Auburn tops AL.  ;D  Sorry but my daughter lives in Auburn.  Gaters beats them both - er all.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

YellowHammer

Hey Wildcat

I'm not one of those obnoxious UofA fans, but I went there during the "glory years."  When I started, Namath was a Sr., then came Steve Sloan, and when I finished, Kenny Stabler was there (man am I getting old).  Two National Championships (should have been three), but that was a long time ago and way too many head coaches.  Hopefully the future looks a bit brighter for all us old die-hards. 

Roll Tide and War Eagle!  These days good barbecue is way more important!   ;D

Wildcat

I hear ya.  I remember the scandals about Namath.  I think he was the first guy to tell the public that he wore pantyhose.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

I remember the pictures and ads with Namath and the pantyhose.  Did he change his name later to Trump?

Y..H..  I haven't heard anything about yellowhammer and U of A - I'll have to do some research or maybe I'll just ask my local Tide man!  I went to a school that had a better sense of what that crimson color should be and had a better name for it - Maroon.  I went to Texas A & M and tell you what, if you give us back Bryant we'll give you Franchione back!

BTW - heard some rumors about Tuberville from a friend of his about him talking to a certain school in the Big 12

Memphis!  sorry you had to live in the armpit of Tennessee!  Spent a lot of time there 3 or 4 years ago and pretty much enjoyed it - loved the baseball stadium, enjoyed eating at a few places down in the district, the metal working museum was pretty cool, loved the onion rings at the Bahama Breeze, loved the bike gathering at Joe's Crab Shack (I stayed in a hotel near the Germantown Mall), but did not like working with the City Officials (they walk a different walk) and I sure don't understand the obsession some have over Gus's Chicken!  But even worse than having part of the project blow down in 100+ mph winds, was the amount of theft.  Combining the theft of all the other projects in my 31 years of experience together doesn't even come close to what was lost on that one job.  They broke in a part of the job that was finished on Christmas Eve, stole some stuff, and then again on Christmas Day it was broken into again.  We had to replace 100+ broken windshields and windows on just our vehicles.  And we watched this happen - a handicapped guy in a wheelchair rolled down the street, stopped next to one of the Plumber's trucks, opened the door, pulled himself in and drove the truck off!  We were so flabbergasted that it had happened we were too shocked to do anything.  And this was in Mid-Town.

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Y.H.,
You're about 3 hours away from me.  I'm in Paducah.

KyNola