Smoked Deviled Eggs

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 28, 2009, 07:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I steamed up 10 eggs prior to smoking. Smoked for 20 mins of hickory cold smoke  ;D

nepas

OU812

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I likes Deviled Eggs. Those looks goooood.

Smoked Deviled Eggs, what a twist.

Where do you get those egg trays in the photo and the steamer you showed in another post.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on May 28, 2009, 07:39:31 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I likes Deviled Eggs. Those looks goooood.

Smoked Deviled Eggs, what a twist.

Where do you get those egg trays in the photo and the steamer you showed in another post.

My daughter works at wally mart, She got both of them there. The steamer was like $29 and the tray $3.88

nepas

MTurczyn

My dad and I have been smoking eggs for several years. After a lot of trial and error, this is how I do it and everyone seems to love them.

I use a Little Chief electric smoker and this method would be considered cold smoking. I'm sure the principles can be applied in many ways, though.

You also need a large box... large enough to cover the smoker and allow a decent amount of clearance. Vent the box in two or three places on the top. I cut a small spot on one side to run the smoker's power cord through as well.

1. Boil, peel, and rinse the eggs.

2. Place eggs in wire container(s) (makes it easier to transport, but putting them directly on the rack would be fine as well).

3. Put eggs into smoker (make sure they are separated).

4. Place tray full (almost heaping) of wood chips onto heating element. I use hickory shreds (not chips), but I'm sure other types of wood would be fine as well.

5. Place a pie-plate half filled with water on the lowest shelf. This adds moisture to the mix and helps to keep the eggs soft.

6. Leave the door off of the smoker and place the box over the smoker so that the back of the smoker is 1-2 inches from the box (not sure, but I assume if it touches it might be a fire hazard). I do this to minimize the heat delivered to the eggs, while containing the smoke. I found that using the door on the smoker made the eggs rubbery due to the heat.

7. Smoke eggs till wood shreds are consumed (with my smoker, it takes 40 to 50 minutes). I generally wait till I see no smoke coming from the vents in the box. For me and my family, this is enough smoke flavor... if you like more, refill and replace the smoking wood and smoke further to taste.

8. Remove the box and the eggs. They should be a nice golden color.

9. Cut each egg in half and remove the yolks into bowl. I place the emptied whites into an egg tray.

10. Use a potato masher to mush yolks into a fine paste (so much easier than a fork).

11. Pour mashed yolks into a large freezer bag.

12. For each dozen yolks, add to bag: 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I use tobacco because it's not that hot. Unless you know for sure, don't over do it).

13. Use hands to mash and mix ingredients. Push the air out first before sealing and push contents down with fingers multiple times to mix properly. Taste with clean spoon and add ingredients to taste/texture.

14. Push contents toward bottom corner of bag. Cut bottom corner of bag with scissors to create small hole.

15. Use hands to push contents toward hole in bag and use it like a pastry bag to push contents into empty egg halves. Use a pushing motion to fluff filling till egg hollow is full and slightly overflowing.

16. Fill under filled eggs with remaining filling (or just eat it).

17. Sprinkle eggs with paprika when done and refrigerate till served.

Smokeville

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 28, 2009, 07:16:16 AM
I steamed up 10 eggs prior to smoking. Smoked for 20 mins of hickory cold smoke  ;D

nepas

I'm confused.....(mostly always).... does "steaming" mean you made them up just as you see them in the photo and then cold smoked them????

Habanero Smoker

MTurczyn;

Welcome to the forum.

I just saw your post. Thanks for the detailed discription on how you smoke eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ketch22

Boy they look good I need to try them.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokeville on April 14, 2010, 07:43:20 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 28, 2009, 07:16:16 AM

nepas

I'm confused.....(mostly always).... does "steaming" mean you made them up just as you see them in the photo and then cold smoked them????

No

Steaming is just that. I use a steamer to hard cook the eggs.

Steaming makes for a better hard egg. This method makes the yolks more yellow and lessens the gray surrounding the yolk.

I use a cake icing bag with a tip to fill the eggs.

Note: I cut the hard eggs in half, remove the yolks for deviling and i just smoke the hard white egg halfs. My devil mix is a secret receipt  :D

OU812

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteMy devil mix is a secret receipt 

Well then I formally request the deviled eggs be part of the menu for the FL Smoke Out   ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on April 15, 2010, 06:00:52 AM

Well then I formally request the deviled eggs be part of the menu for the FL Smoke Out   ;D

I guess i could bring a few icing bags for the devil mix but we would have to broil the eggs, Leave the steamer at home cuz after the smokeout we are going to head to NOLA.....Need the room in the car for goodies  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 15, 2010, 06:11:00 AM

I guess i could bring a few icing bags for the devil mix but we would have to broil the eggs, Leave the steamer at home cuz after the smokeout we are going to head to NOLA.....Need the room in the car for goodies  ;D

We could use the oven in my Motorhome if it helps.

Of course I would have to use it too... We haven't had the occasion.

The nuker has a convection setting as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 15, 2010, 07:03:56 AM

We could always boil them....
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on April 15, 2010, 07:31:21 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on April 15, 2010, 07:03:56 AM

We could always boil them....

Boil, Broil.... whats the diff??? LOL
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

NePaS, the eggs look great.  MTurczyn, thanks for the nice write-up.

I boil.  Put the eggs into a large pot well-covered in cold water.  Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.  Add cold water to cool 'em down.  Peel immediately.  They seem to peel better while still warm.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.