I suck

Started by bigbuck, January 30, 2005, 02:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbuck

I just got my smoker last Tuesday and have cooked a few thing in it already.  I processed my own deer this year and smoke some Polish Sausage with on Wednesday, they turned out pretty good.  I went tried to smoke some jerky today and it really sucked.  Has anyone had any luck smoking jerky with the Bradley?

oguard

BigBuck welcome to the forum.Try a search for jerky and you will find what you need to know.Lots of guys here make jerky but I am not one of them.Don't give up trying is half the fun with the Bradley.
Keep on smokin[;)]
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Cold Smoke

Big Buck- I've only made jerky once or twice since I bought the Bradley. This is bizarre only for the fact that that is the PRIMARY reason I bought it- to smoke good jerky. Well to make a long story short, I ghosted this place for a long while before taking the plunge and said to myself" these people have been smokin more than hickory if their food is turning out as good as they say it is"....Fast forward...I've smoked a ton of stuff (Kirk has his wheels spinning now...) since the BS has been a part of my culinary tools (and jerky is still "low man on the totem pole" in terms of stuff I want to smoke. This smoker is not a great dehydrator- depends on the weatherman- but if you will still be able to make delicious jerky after you get familiar with the BS' capabilities.

Smoke on !!

Cold Smoke

tsquared

I've been thinking of trying some jerky in the BS. My plan is to give it a couple of hours smoke and then finish the jerky in my dehydrator. I'll let you know how it goes.
Tom

MallardWacker

BB,

You might do a seach under Whitetailfan, he has done some jerky making.  Give it time , he will probably chime in here.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

bigbuck,
Your jerky experience is unfortunate, but not unique.  My first batch of jerky tasted like crap.  Made up my own recipe out of internet searches and was just plain a bad flavour, and then to top it off, I dried the living beejeesus out it which made it even less palatable.

Without some extra info, I'm only guessing here, but I'll offer up some general stuff.  You don't say if you're a seasoned jerky maker who is only upgrading his smoker, or if you're a jerky novice like I started as.  Not sure which variable to target here...

First, if you don't have a good <font color="red">tried and tested</font id="red"> recipe, then go out and buy some jerky seasoning that someone has deemed good enough to charge money for[:D][:D]  My recommendation - pick up some Hi-Mtn Cracked Pepper and Garlic it's my favorite hands down.

Next follow the directions, and Do Not dry the hell out of it.  I consider jaw breakers rock candy for children only.  My preference is meat that is chewable, but will break off easily, not like having a piece of roast or something like that.

Basically, try again, you Will have success eventualy.  Also post again if you want more specific info.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

bigbuck

Thanks Guys!  Whitetailfan, funny you should menton Hi MTN Cracked Pepper and Garlic becausethat is what I was using!  I'll keep trying and see if I can do better next time!

jaeger

Big Buck,
Welcome to the forum.
  I have had good luck with High Mountain jerky seasoning. I like to use a seasoning with cure to give it a nice color. I cook 4 racks at a time. I preheat to 300 degrees and cook at about 200 degrees. It ends up taking about 3 hours. I let it start out with the damper open for about 1/2 an hour and then smoke the rest of the time with the damper closed. I open the door kind of frequently mainly to rotate the racks and also to let out some of the humidity that builds up.
  I take pieces off the rack as they look done. It is never all done at exactly the same time.
 I also like making ground jerky. Also my daughters favorite is turkey jerky make out of turkey tenders. I usually use hickory smoke.

Doug

jaeger

Big Buck,
How did you make your polish. What kind of meat block did you use? What kind of seasoning? What kind of casings? Any pics ?

Doug

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigbuck</i>
<br />Whitetailfan, funny you should menton Hi MTN Cracked Pepper and Garlic because that is what I was using!  I'll keep trying and see if I can do better next time!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
buck,
Interesting...did you make whole muscle or ground?  I have only done whole muscle to date.
More info please - why did it "suck"?
Bad consistency (too hard) - that's a time and dehydration issue.
Bad taste - that's tough - bad batch of seasoning? too strong a wood flavour?
What are you comparing it to?  Have you done Hi-Mtn in a dehydrator or big chief before, and dont like the way it turned out in the Bradley, or was this your first try at Hi-Mtn period, and maybe dont like the flavour?

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

CLAREGO

BIG BUCK I TOO HAVE HAD LUCK WITH HI MOUNTAIN SEASONING. JUST DID SOME OVER THE WEEKEND AT 200 DEGRESS(ABOUT 3 POUNDS WHEN FINISHED)(USED THE PEPPER ONE AND USED ABOUT 2 CUPS OF BROWN SUGER WITH IT) FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS. I WAS VERY SURPRISED HAD ONE OF THEM SMOKERS THAT USE PRACTICILLY WOOD DUST AND IT TOOK OVER 12 HOURS TO COOK ! CHECK OUT HI MOUNTAIN WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION I THINK THE BRADLEY GOES PERFECT WITH THIS SEASONING FOR THE FACT IS YOU CAN USE THIS WITH YOUR OVEN [:D]