Pilgramage to Memphis

Started by zzzippper, May 28, 2009, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzzippper

Took a long overdue long weekend (Sat thru Wed) pilgrammage to Memphis over Memorial Day to hit as many BBQ joints as possible.  We managed Blues City Cafe, Pig on Beale St. (twice), BBQ Shop, and Cozy Corner.  In order I would rate them:
1) Pig (sweet sauce caramelized over truly FOTB ribs, decent side dishes, pulled pork was okay but ribs are #1! but they did have poor service both times and they weren't busy either time)

2) BBQ Shop (#2 in FOTB ribs, excellant service)

3) Blues City (over-rated by the local that recommended it but still good, not really FOTB, catfish was so-so, good service)

4) Cozy Corner (sauces were very vinegary as well as the beans, friendly counter service)

Wanted to try others; B.B. King, Rendevous, Interstate, Central, etc. but we ran out of time and our bowels were already packed with meat.  Time to detox.

pensrock

I was only in Memphis once and tried a small local pub which was pretty good but then went to Corky's and it was Great! If I ever get back to Memphis I will be going there again.

meatgeek

Try Rendezvous next time....  Hands-down phenomenal FOTB (I sure hope that means falling off the bone) ribs.

Laura

zzzippper

Quote from: meatgeek on May 28, 2009, 07:53:38 PM
Try Rendezvous next time....  Hands-down phenomenal FOTB (I sure hope that means falling off the bone) ribs.

Laura

Yep, FOTB is my own acronym.  Everyone here seems to speak in them so I pulled that one out of my pork butt! lol

Rendevous was just two blocks from the Peabody but a local and some reviews said they were riding on their reputation.  Of course that local was also the one that recommended Blues City Cafe.  This trip really taught us how subjective and personal BBQ taste is.

FLBentRider

Quote from: zzzippper on May 29, 2009, 05:12:16 AM
Yep, FOTB is my own acronym.  Everyone here seems to speak in them so I pulled that one out of my pork butt! lol

Nicely done!

You're gonna fit in fine around here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokey the Bear.

I took the wife on a road trip to Memphis from Toronto,Canada. She found Charlie Vegas Rendezvous Ribs for me and we went there for lunch. Since then i have been hooked on smoked meats. I would recommend Rendezvous any day.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

zzzippper

We're planning another trip over Labor Day week.  We'll hit Rendevous as well as Lawrence's and Marlowe's, both recommended by Guy Fieri on D3.  Also a chance to take in a Memphis Redbirds game.

Caneyscud

Man, i love that stadium to watch a game.  It's first class!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

Quote from: Smokey the Bear. on May 31, 2009, 06:29:48 AM
I took the wife on a road trip to Memphis from Toronto,Canada. She found Charlie Vegas Rendezvous Ribs for me and we went there for lunch. Since then i have been hooked on smoked meats. I would recommend Rendezvous any day.

If you go to Rendezvous, be sure to check the times they/he is open.  He has rather let his "fame" get to his head and has gotten rather independent - not open all times.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"